Together we can push the limits of metal powders
The Höganäs metal powders for
Höganäs short facts
● Largest iron powder producer in the world
● 2800 customers in 75 countries
● More than 1,500 products, mostly customer
specific, from 13 production centers
● Around 700 granted patents
● Global volume +/- 400 000 tons
● Turnover 2014: +/- 650 MEUR
● Established in 1797 as a coal mining company
● Owned by FAM and Lindéngruppen
is used to produce powders
Additive Manufacturing powders
Olof ANDERSSON | Höganäs Belgium SA3 |
SIRRIS / background.
● Since a couple of years Höganäs see more and more demands for
powder to be used in Additive Manufacturing.
● Markets not fully defined
● Technical requirements from customers are unclear. Particle size ?
● Are our powders performing correctly in the common processes?
● Need to verify but how?
Olof ANDERSSON | Höganäs Belgium SA5 |
Reality check with SIRRIS.
Will our powder perform in the common processes?
● SLM and DED
● 316L and IN 625 - > 4 different powders.
● Powder behaviours in the printers? Flow, particle size and shape.
● Mechanical properties in build components?
Olof ANDERSSON | Höganäs Belgium SA6 |
Confirmed flowability trials with 20-53 µm on a
commercial SLM equipment.
● Flowability main tank to recoater - OK
● Flowability recoater to chamber - OK
● Spreading aspect on base plate - OK
Olof ANDERSSON | Höganäs Belgium SA7 |
20-53 µm is working successfully down to layer thickness of 30 µm
Feasibility of production.
Core and contour settings optimization jobs.
Olof ANDERSSON | Höganäs Belgium SA8 |
- Support settings
- Core settings
- Contour settings
Several optimization jobs are carried out, producing a
matrix of cubes of each material. They will be afterwards
visually inspected and a density analysis will be
The initial window of variables measured for
Olof ANDERSSON | Höganäs Belgium SA9 |
Conclusion of SLM evaluation.
● The powder flowability was revealed good.
● Höganäs powder 20-53um SS 316L allowed to produce dense parts.
● The tensile samples show values expected values for the SLM
Olof ANDERSSON | Höganäs Belgium SA10 |
Olof ANDERSSON | Höganäs Belgium SA12 |
Front (left) and back (right) faces of 316L sample.
Laser Power 930 W, Speed 300 mm/min, powder flow 3,8 g/min, average layer thickness 375 μm.
Conclusion from DED
● The Powders tested was suitable to have a well-shaped
powder flow out of the nozzle.
● High dense parts ( > 99.3 % pores) were obtained.
● Tensile results shows mechanical values in the same range
than expected in the literature for YTS, UTS for DED
Olof ANDERSSON | Höganäs Belgium SA13 |
● Based on SIRRIS report we felt secure to go to the market
with our powders.
● Market plan
● Launched marketing and sales support activities.
● The report is beneficial tool to enter
materials lab and R/D centres.
● Commercial successes in
Europe and USA
Olof ANDERSSON | Höganäs Belgium SA14 |
Exhaust part for a racing car
Höganäs IN 625
Olof ANDERSSON | Höganäs Belgium SA15 |
Thank you for your attention!