Throughout my media course of two years, I have had different challenges to
overcome when in the process of my coursework. For my AS level, I had to
create a magazine from scratch, just purely following the codes and conventions
on my chosen genre for the topic of music. Before I carried out my research, I
made a first ever design of my practise task which is called the preliminary task.
I had to get to grips with the use of the camera and software's which I would of
needed to complete my actual magazine. Moving on from my preliminary task, I
had to actually carry out my research. To do this I decided I wanted to look at
R’n’B and the existing magazines for this genre.
When carrying out my research I looked at magazines such as ‘VIBE’ and ‘BASS’
to get initial ideas on the layout and the content needed. It helped me develop
my ideas massively in the sense that it built upon what I already had. For
example, the images I wanted to take and the placement of them in my actual
magazine. From this research, I used the conventions and applied them to my
own work in order to make sure it was successful in this section of the marking.
I used factors such as the masthead sizing's, the type of images and where they
can be placed and the types of cell lines. Following these gave me a lot better
understanding of what I need to include to make it appear as a professional as it
Much like my AS level, I had to carry out a significant amount of research for
my A2 work aswell. Even though I didn’t have to do a practise music video
before creating my real one, I still had to apply research to my actual work. I
was new to the software's which we were using (premiere), and therefore I had
to learn to use that at the same time. Some of the research I had to do was to
look into the different ways in which I could use premiere, and apply transitions
to my clips.
I had to be hugely creative when I was designing and researching into my initial
plans, much like my AS level, I created a questionnaire for my peer’s in my class
on market research, finding out exactly what they would want in the music
video. From this, it allowed me to alter and adapt my video to the needs and
wants of the demographic audience.
All of the research which I have carried out has helped me massively when I am
developing on all of my ideas. I could adapt my initial ideas to the results of my
market research and find a way which would work out to be most successful for
me. I showed my class and teacher my video, and after getting more feedback, I
decided to carry out further research so that I could gain a further
understanding and get new ideas I could include. I looked at several videos
which I could of related to such as some of passengers other songs and videos.
I strongly believe that I carried out a lot of research for both my AS and A2
coursework, which has been applied to my work to make sure it is as successful
as it could be.