Understanding Venture Capital

5,777 views

Published on

A very basic presentation designed to help familiarize emerging market entrepreneurs with some of the principles of venture capital.

Published in: Economy & Finance, Business
  • they are money management, market analysis, and entry/exit rules. to me money management is important in trading. i opened another account and start to trade profitably after i learnt from my past mistake. i don't trade emotionally anymore. I have personally used this before. But i loose my money trading on this. Now i'm satisfied with GINO SHEARER TRADING.
       Reply 
    Are you sure you want to  Yes  No
    Your message goes here
  • the worst thing was i blew up my first account. I got the information about GINO SHEARER SYSTEM from my friend. Now this gives me a much better profit than this across my desire.
       Reply 
    Are you sure you want to  Yes  No
    Your message goes here
  • Since binary options are traded on the conventional financial assets most of us know about and hear about on the business news on TV, you need to identify how to trade them using the various binary option trade types. I got the information about ANDY LANK TOOLS from my friend. Now this gives me a much better profit than this across my desire.
       Reply 
    Are you sure you want to  Yes  No
    Your message goes here

Understanding Venture Capital

  1. 1. DFJ Understanding Venture Capital September 2009 © 2009 Simon Olson
  2. 2. What are venture capitalists? • Venture capitalists (also known as VCs) are professional investors who invest money in young, privately-owned companies and work with them to help them succeed
  3. 3. Important things to remember • Venture capital is equity, not debt • The companies are private, not public • The companies are young, but usually have more than just an idea* • The companies are growing exponentially, not arithmetically • The companies are usually technology- related, but not always *An idea would normally be “seed” capital, not venture capital
  4. 4. How does it work? • Entrepreneur has an idea • Gets “seed” capital from friends and family, “bootstraps” the idea using his or her own money, or gets money from an “angel” investor • Builds a proof of concept • Approaches venture capitalist
  5. 5. How does it work? • Venture capitalist receives a short executive summary (1-4 pages) or Power Point presentation (10-15 slides) describing the opportunity • Analyzes the materials, rejects 90% • Talks to the remaining 10% • Invests in 1 out of the remaining 10%
  6. 6. What does the VC look for? Investment criteria: • Entrepreneur • Team • Market size • Timing • Company growth characteristics • Exit potential
  7. 7. Venture capitalist’s objective • To earn at least 10 times the value of the initial investment in 4-5 years • Ex. If I invest R$1 million in a company, I want to be able to sell my stake in it four years later, for at least R$10 million
  8. 8. Why is such a large return necessary?
  9. 9. Because, for every Google in a VC’s portfolio, there were 18 companies that failed!
  10. 10. Portfolio strategy • Invest in 20, and pray for 2 • 13 companies fail, 5 break even, 2 big hits • Out of 2 big hits: one returns capital for the entire fund, the other accounts for the return* *In the best funds, the ratio is more like 33% succeed, 33% break even, and 33% fail.
  11. 11. Portfolio distribution 2 great successes: R one returns the fund’s e capital and t the other u provides the return r n A few companies break-even 0 Majority of companies fail = portfolio company = break-even
  12. 12. After the decision is made to invest, what’s next?
  13. 13. Services venture capitalist’s provide • Advice on strategy • Help recruiting • Introductions to key customers/partners • Professionalization (management and corporate governance) • Internationalization • Help with sale of the company or IPO • Provide capital
  14. 14. How do VCs make money? • Annual management fee • Performance fee
  15. 15. Simon Olson

×