« Internet, Tout y est Pour Apprendre »
The Internet has everything you need for learning
Optimisation of personal learning environments
through the study and integration of the uses of
tools, methods and strategies for learning on the
Oct to Dec 2013 – 9 weeks
Around 4 hours/week
Jean-Marie Gilliot, Télécom Bretagne
Anne-Céline Grolleau, Ecole Centrale de Nantes
Christine Vaufrey, Thot Cursus
Morgan Magnin, Ecole Centrale de Nantes
• Simon Carolan, Ecole Centrale de Nantes
• Pierre-Yves Michau, Ecole Centrale de Nantes
Le MOOC et la motivation : les élèves face à
une formation autogérée.
Atelier MOOC, EIAH, Toulouse 2013
Identified 3 major issues
1. Students struggle to grasp connectivism
2. Students found integration complex
3. Students struggled to go beyond the tools
towards reflexive analysis of practices
Reinforcement of the hybrid structure
2.2. Crossing boundaries
A cMOOC and its communities
Animated sessions for the exploration of key concepts
Student-driven sessions for the sharing and contrasting of learning experiences
Encourage students to interact and to go beyond
their comfort zone.
Reflection of course badging
Appears to have a limited impact – Novelty of badges?
Perform an analytical overview of course themes
Capitalize on community production
Understand positioning and scope
• Students selected one of three themes from each
• Students were encouraged to work with different
• Students were given free choice in terms of format,
tools and collaborations.
Link to student productions (coming soon):
3.1 Student Feedback
Malik – Had followed a few xMOOCs
Struggled to grasp the connectivist structure.
Exchanges helped him to better understand the course.
Assessment allowed him to fully apprehend connectivism.
Larissa - Had already followed several MOOCs.
Exchanges had little impact on her learning experience.
Could imagine all of her courses being online.
Ulysse – First MOOC experience
Exchanges were essential and would have appreciated more.
Frustrated that other students did not respond to challenges.
Found freedom of expression to be liberating.
3.2 Empirical study
• Difficult to define objectives in the first few
weeks of the course.
• Consensus on praesential sessions: informative,
useful good timing and frequency.
• Final course project:
consolidates their awareness of the subject
a hindrance for a few students
• Unanimous acknowledgment of the potential of
MOOCs in their higher education cursus.
• Third praesential session successfully integrated
into the eITyPA course.
• Important to analyse how to further maintain selfdeterministic elements.
• Demotivational factors highlighted that will need to
length of webinars…
Expansion of partnerships
Personalisation of learning experience