If you hold PMP or CAPM credentials then you can fast-track your way to PRINCE2 certification. Download this useful guide: http://www.knowledgetrain.co.uk/prince2-guide-for-pmp-and-capm-credential-holders.php
Overview of the PRINCE2 project management framework, its history, benefits and qualifications and how it compares with the PMBoK.
- History of PRINCE2
- The structure of PRINCE2
- PRINCE2 qualifications
- Who uses PRINCE2?
- Benefits of PRINCE2
- Which is better - PRINCE2 or PMBOK?
- Comparison of PRINCE2 and PMBOK
- The student and the doctor
PRINCE2® is a Registered Trade Mark of the Cabinet Office.
The Swirl logo™ is a Trade Mark of the Cabinet Office.
Knowledge Train Limited is a PRINCE2 accredited training organization (ATO).
History of PRINCE2
PRojects IN Controlled Environments
• A generic project management framework suitable
for managing ANY type of project in any industry
• Owned by Office of Government Commerce (OGC)
• PRINCE established in 1989
• 1996 – PRINCE redeveloped as PRINCE2
• 2009 – Latest refresh
• Now de facto standard for UK government
• More than 1,000,000 PRINCE2 exams taken
worldwide since 1996 in 109 countries
– ~650,000+ Foundation exams
– ~350,000+ Practitioner exams
• 2 qualifications
– Foundation – 1 hour exam – tests understanding
– Practitioner – 2.5 hour exam – tests application
– Professional – 2.5 day – assessment of ability to
manage PRINCE2 projects
Who uses PRINCE2?
British American Tobacco
ING Bank Australia
Paul Hartmann AG
Port of Rotterdam
Siemens Business Services
UK Local government
UK Health Service
UK Post Office
UK Olympic Delivery Authority
• Based upon best practices and governance for managing projects
• Can be applied to any type of project
• Is widely recognised and understood
• Provides a common vocabulary for all project participants
• Focuses on what a project will deliver, why, when, by and for whom
• Plans meet needs of different levels of project management team
• Based on ‘management by exception’ – saves senior managers
• Focuses on project viability by assessing its Business Case
• Thorough but economical structure of reports
• Stakeholders properly represented in planning and decision-making
• Its adoption promotes learning and continuous improvement
• Training is widely available
• Using PRINCE2 is FREE!
Which is better - PRINCE2 or PMBOK?
• The wrong question to ask
• A better question to ask is …
– Can PRINCE2 and PMBOK be used together?
Process-based approach Knowledge-based approach
Processes define WHAT must be done, WHEN,
HOW and by WHO
Describes core practices and a wider range of
Defines the roles of EVERYONE on the PM team Focuses on PM role
PRINCE2 Accredited Training Organizations
(ATO’s) must be accredited (licensed).
Accreditation requires compliance with UKAS
quality management standard for training.
Trainers must pass independent assessment,
renewed on annual basis.
PMP training organizations are not required to
comply with an international quality management
standard for training and/or certification.
PMP trainer’s competency to deliver training is
PRINCE2 and PMBOK
The student and the doctor
• Imagine a student learning to
become a doctor (study
• Being a good doctor requires
– Determine symptoms
– Prescribe treatment & medicine
– Maintaining records
– Requesting support from
• PMBOK describes the
knowledge – PRINCE2
describes the WHAT, WHEN,
HOW and WHO
• PRINCE2 and PMBOK both have strengths
• PRINCE2 can complement the strengths of the
PMBOK by shaping and directing the PMP’s
• PRINCE2 specifies the information, documents and
roles required throughout the whole project, including
• Using PRINCE2 and PMBOK together means taking
advantage of the 2 most respected project
management approaches in the world
• Gaining PRINCE2 qualifications can help your career
Click here for more PRINCE2
Resources, ebooks and guides!