Streamlining “C” for Social Media?
• Most social media is for consumers.
• What about business?
• Can there be a clear line between business
communication and private communication by
• We are seeing the beginning of social media
adoption by enterprise and some significant
success in some implementations.
Why does Social Media Really Matter?
It Matters Because:
• The way we work with information has changed.
• Our once private way of interaction has adopted a
• We are now moving towards expanding; sharing,
openness and collaboration online.
• Our once closed networks are now finding open air.
• One of our primal needs as people is connection or
a sense of belonging.
• Not forgetting that Brands began from human
Fear of the unknown!
What some business might fear:
• Negative feedback?
• Time wasting? (e.g. Leisure time activity)
• Policy Overload?
• Slow adoption culture?
But Wait – an upside to social media!
• Minimal Training
• Minimal Management
• More team effort
• Enhancement of Culture
To achieve the above!
• For the streamlining process to take shape, a
few elements in your organisation need to
• For communication to become streamlined,
the internal business culture needs to become
streamlined as well.
Struggle for Power
Leader & Subordinates
Instead of “Yes, Sir!”
Different Levels of Partnership
Rather; Have you considered these
Communication as a Product
Sender and Receiver
Descending and Ascending Paradigms
Power of Information
What’s heard through the grape vine.
Communication as a process
Power of Conversation
Celebration of Conversation.
An Industrial Company
Over 110 000 employees
150 year history
Array of Age Groups
A Successful Social Enterprise Strategy
Forming the Best Team
– Social Media Strategy + Corporate Strategy.
– Intensive Collaboration and Knowledge Sharing across Business Units.
– Became Fast, Flexible and Innovative = outperform Rivals.
Establishing a corporate network
Involving All Stakeholders
Right Mix of Participation – Pilot
Choose the right Platform
Develop and effective Launch Campaign
Create Online and offline support
Don’t take sustainable growth for granted.
Practice active community Management
Start by Listening
Think beyond Employees to Community
Allow for collaboration
Transparency is important
Forget: One-to-Many but think Many-to-Many
The goal is interaction
It is real (No Pseudonyms or alter-egos)