(Associated Press of Pakistan)
Tooba Zaheer Shaikh
Abdul Ahad Farooqui
Prof. Inam Baari
• About APP • Departments
• Organization Structure – English News Service
– Managing Director – Urdu News Service
– Director News – Sindhi News Service
– Bureau Chief
– Photo Service
– Assignment Editor
– Video News Service
– Photo In-charge
– IT In-charge
• The Associated Press of Pakistan (APP) started its life in 1947 with the
independence of Pakistan. Initially it was run through a Trust, but was
then taken over by the Govertment through an Ordinance called;
quot;Associated Press of Pakistan Ordinance 1961quot;, on 15th June 1961.
• APP was later converted into Corporation on October 19, 2002 through an
Ordinance renaming it as Associated Press of Pakistan Corporation (APPC)
and lending a status of semi government media government.
• APP remains committed to excellent journalistic traditions by objective
and accurate reporting, observing code of ethics with regard to
responsible journalism. A contradiction of an APP story is a rare
About APP – cont…
• Enjoying sizeable amount of freedom, APP is comprehensively and
extensively covering all important developments and engagements of the
ruling coalition as well as opposition political parties with unbiased
approach. Objectivity and credibility of the news are the hallmark of the
sound professional footing of the news agency.
• Print and pictorial news service of APP unabatedly wrest prominent space
in the national and regional English, Urdu, Sindhi and Pushto papers. APP’s
Special Correspondents, posted at key destinations abroad including
Washington, New York, London, Beijing and New Delhi are making
effective contribution towards promoting country’s image and stance on
various national and regional issues in their true perspective.
Director News Administrator
Bureau Chief Assistant
Assignment Editor Photo In-charge Accountant IT in-charge
Reporter Assistant Assistant
Managing Director - MD
• The managing director is responsible for looking after
the whole organization.
• He plays the leadership role for the organization.
• The MD directly reports to the Federal Ministry about
the affairs of APP
• Director news looks after all the bureau offices in
• He final checks the all the news coming in.
• He also decides which news is to be released and when.
• Heads all departments at a certain office.
• Every city has its own bureau chief
• He also may be a reporter but goes into the field in
case of covering a VIP personality or a VIP event.
• He reports directly to the Director News.
• An assignment editor is responsible for assigning the
beats to different reporters.
• He reports to the Bureau Chief.
• Reporters belong to a department
• They go into the field to cover various events happening
according to the beat(s) they are assigned.
• Reporters report to the Assignment Editor.
• The Photo Incharge is located at the head office in
• He is responsible for collecting and maintaining the still
photographs gathered by the staff.
• He reports to Bureau Chief who has assigned him a task.
• A Cameraman is associated with a reporter.
• Cameramen are dispatched by the video News Service
department to sites where video coverage is required.
• APP is divided into the following department
– English News Service
– Urdu News Service
– Sindhi News Service
– Photo Service
– Video News Service
English News Service
• This department comprises of an Assignment Editor and
• This department is responsible for covering national
and international events in English language.
Urdu News Service
• The Assignment editor is responsible for dispatching the
reporters for news coverage and compilation in Urdu
• News may be both national or international.
Sindhi News Service
• This department is responsible for all provincial news.
• The news coverage and compilation is done in Sindhi
language and then provided to Sindhi newspapers.
• A photo in-charge, who reports directly to the bureau
chief, assigns cameramen for still photography of
important events and situations.
• A photo gallery is maintained by this department.
Video News Service
• This department is responsible for the video coverage
• This coverage may be live or recorded.
• This department also works on documentaries, which
may be telecast by a TV channel. These documentaries
are also present on the organization’s website.
• There is an IT in-charge who works with his assistants to
provide the best IT service to the in house staff.
• Maintains the IT infrastructure and is responsible to
overcome any problem that may occur in the IT setup.
• This department is responsible for handling financial
matters of the organization.
• An accountant working with his assistants makes sure
that financial matters are well looked after.
• This department is responsible for managing the office.
• Administration will look after hiring procedures,
contract issues, posting orders, official orders etc.