Social Media For
Friday, January 18, 2008 1
What is Social media?
• Via wikipedia.org
Social Media is the democratization of
information, transforming people from
content readers into content publishers. It is
the shift from a broadcast mechanism to a
many-to-many model, rooted in conversations
between authors, people, and peers.
Friday, January 18, 2008 2
Friday, January 18, 2008 3
Major Types of Social
• Publishing platforms
• news networks
• Content Distribution sites
• Virtual worlds
• social collaboration
• Social networks
Friday, January 18, 2008 4
• Second Life
• Entropia Universe
• Active Worlds
• red light center
Friday, January 18, 2008 8
• social Bookmarking
• del.icio.us and StumbleUpon
• Events like upcoming.org
• Mashables - google earth
Friday, January 18, 2008 9
• Ning (sn of sn’s)
• Much overlap here! flickr, you
tube etc all have friends listing
Friday, January 18, 2008 10
How does a social network
Friday, January 18, 2008 11
Methods of communication
• direct post on net
• Blogs, forums comments
• Direct edit on net
• wikis, collaboration tools
• IM (Internet messaging)
• SMS or Texting (mobile phones)
Friday, January 18, 2008 12
which tools are you
• Which are your favorites?
Friday, January 18, 2008 13
Why use social media
• personal voice
• easy to share knowledge with
• Open Source thinking
• you can benefit from diversity
• You are have a set plan and are
able to communicate it with the
community at large
Friday, January 18, 2008 14
Do you have any stories?
Friday, January 18, 2008 15
• Good for accountability, show and
tell, and a personal side
• A blog I suggest wordpress.com
• Free and easy
• make sure to get your own domain
name though and map it!
Friday, January 18, 2008 16
yeah it really is that easy - though get
your own domain name $15 a year
Friday, January 18, 2008 17
• Susan Reynolds
• Breast cancer
• frozen peas
• Frozenpeasfund .com
Friday, January 18, 2008 41
Friday, January 18, 2008 42
a google search on Twitter and peas
Friday, January 18, 2008 43
How to use Social media
• open API’s
• add ons
oh yeah - and participate for real
or have hard core volunteers
Friday, January 18, 2008 44
WHy not to use Social Media
I suffer from information overload already
2. So much of what's discussed online is meaningless. These forms of communication are shallow and
make us dumber. We have real work to do!
3. I don't have the time to contribute and moderate, it looks like it takes a lot of time and energy.
4. Our customers don't use this stu, the learning curve limits its usefulness to geeks.
5. Communicators [bloggers, tweeters] are so ﬁckle, better to stay unengaged than risk random brand
damage. We don't want hostile comments left about us on any forum we've legitimized.
6. Traditional media and audiences are still bigger, we'll do new stu when they do.
7. Upper management won't support it/dedicate resources for it.
8. These startups can't oer meaningful security, they may not even be around in a year - I'll wait until
Google or our enterprise software vendor starts oering this kind of functionality.
9. There are so many tools that are similar, I can't tell where to invest my time so I don't use any of it at
10. That stu's ﬁne for sexy brands, but we sell [insert boring B2B brand] and are known for stability
more than chasing the ﬂavor-of-the-month. We're doing just ﬁne with the tools we've got, thanks.
Friday, January 18, 2008 45
many concepts here are borrowed from
images are credited on each slide
URL’s are listed on each screen capture
Font is evil Genius BB
Friday, January 18, 2008 46
what is a...
google doc? can you use word? you don’t need one! http://docs.google.com
SMS texting? http://www.commoncraft.com/mygads
Social Bookmarking? http://www.commoncraft.com/bookmarking-plain-english
forums/bulletin board groups? http://www.commoncraft.com/archives/000768.html
Friday, January 18, 2008 47
This Prezo is
Friday, January 18, 2008 48
How to contact me?
Silona_bonewald on Skype
Friday, January 18, 2008 49