Games & recreational
activity…. For PHCs
Dr Saim Ali Soomro.
Deputy Director (PHC).
• Physical activity can be classed as many forms: exercise, sport, physical fitness
and being active to name a few. The most appropriate definition is that from
the Council of Europes European Sports Charter 1993,
• Sport means all forms of physical activity which, through casual or organised
participation aim at expressing or improving physical fitness and mental well-
being forming social relationships or obtaining results in competition at all
• It has been well published that the Government has been encouraging the UK
population to become more active. There are recommended levels of physical
activity for both men and women which can have positive benefits on
everyday life. These benefits include:reduce the overall risk of cancer
• boost the immune system
• in combination with a balanced diet, help to maintain a healthy weight
(Nearly 7 out of 10 men and 6 in 10 women in the UK are overweight or
obese according to the National Audit Office (NAO)) 1
• lower high blood pressure - reducing the risk of developing heart disease
• promote healthy blood sugar levels to prevent or control diabetes
• evidence suggests that active people live a longer life-(Achieving the
recommended levels of moderate intensity physical activity can reduce
premature mortality by between 20-30%). 2
• provides natural pain relief
What value Sports Has ???
• While sport has value in everyone's life, it is even more important in
the life of a person with a disability. This is because of the
rehabilitative influence sport can have not only on the physical body
but also on rehabilitating people with a disability into society.
Furthermore, sport teaches independence. Nowadays, people with a
disability participate in high performance as well as in competitive
and recreational sport.
• The number of people with disabilities involved in sport and physical
recreation is steadily increasing around the world with organized
sports for athletes with disabilities divided into three main disability
groups, sports for the deaf, sports for persons with physical
disabilities, and sports for persons with intellectual disabilities.
• Now various national & International Forums available for disabled
Disability Sports Forums
• Major disability sporting events include:
• Paralympic Games - A multi-sport event for athletes with physical, mental and
sensorial disabilities. This includes mobility disabilities, amputees, visual
disabilities and those with cerebral palsy. The Paralympic Games are held every
four years, following the Olympic Games, and are governed by the International
• Deaflympics - The Summer and Winter Deaflympics are among the world's fastest
growing sports events.
• Special Olympics - The global Special Olympics movement got its start on 20 July
1968, when the First International Special Olympics Games were held at Soldier
Field, Chicago, Illinois, USA. But the concept of Special Olympics was born much
earlier, when Eunice Kennedy Shriver started a day camp for people with
intellectual disabilities at her home in 1962.
• Disability Commonwealth Games - For the first time in the Games history a
number of Para-Sports were included in a fully inclusive Sports Program in
Manchester 2002 when 20 countries sent both male and female elite athletes with
a disability to compete in 10 events across 5 different Para-Sports; Athletics, Lawn
Bowls, Swimming, Table Tennis and Weightlifting. “The Commonwealth has always
said it wants to play a lead role in social issues,” says Stead ward, who is president
of the International Paralympics Committee. “What better way than by becoming
the first major sports competition to integrate athletes with disabilities?”
Citation: Disabled World News - News and information pertaining to disability sports including paralympics and disabilities sporting events for disabled: http://www.disabled-
Why is Recreation, Leisure, Hobbies
• Human is a Social animal.
• Every one has a hobby to pass his times and keep him
self at peace with in.
• There are many types of sports & recreational activities
one can learn himself, play alone or in teams. From
stamp collection to Music listening, going to movies,
book reading to Bird watching, fishing, computer
games, puzzle solving, there are 100 & thousands of
such Hobbies & recreational activities.
• They help one to build his personality in child hood and
a better citizen in adult hood.
Role of Games……..
• Games can be..Physical, mental, Indoor & out
Door, traditional or Modern , Table games or
Board games, team games or individual
sports. etc, etc..
• There is a new class of games since last one or
two decades, they are Computer based
educational or recreational games……!
• Board games: like Chess, Ludo, Kror pati,
• Indoor Physical games: Table tennis,
Badminton, indoor basket ball(wheel chair)
• Paralympic sports:
Other Disability Sports
Ice sledge hockey
*Ice sledge racing
*Wheelchair dance sport
List of games at International forums
• Special Olympics:
• Alpine skiing
Short track speed skating
Computer Based games
• Since last 20 years or more, PCs has enter in to
our lives, at every step. We can take every
help from a Desktop, only imagination is the
limit…..u can play board games like chess,
ludo, snookers, cricket, foot ball , indoors or
out door games on a small monitor or smart
phone screens..but u can use it as educational
games tool too..!
Games for All
Game scene Note