Katherine Raz, Community Manager @ Signal
• Type your question in during the webinar
• Tweet @Signal or use hashtag #GetSignal
• A recording of this webinar will be available tomorrow at
invite others to join: JoinWebinar.com code [130-059-179]
• Why run a sweepstakes?
• How to prepare to run a sweepstakes
• Legal considerations for sweepstakes marketing
• How to set up cross-channel sweepstakes using Signal
Signal is an all-in-one marketing platform where businesses can manage:
• Email newsletters
• SMS marketing
• Social media publishing
• Content tools (landing pages, short URLs, QR codes) and promotional tools (sweepstakes)
for building your customer database
• Customer database, including tracking engagement across channels
Sign up for a free trial at Signalhq.com
Why run a sweepstakes?
marcdalio, via Flickr
“When your audience plateaus in a social
network, sometimes you need more than
good content and a chatty demeanor to
grow it further. Sometimes, you need a
-- Adam Sutton, Chief Reporter, Marketing Sherpa
2 goals for sweeps:
1. Generate awareness
2. Build your list
For content on any channel, you should
ask yourself: how is this generating
awareness of my business, or how am I
opting people in to my lists? Be
Which channels will you use to collect entries?
○ Easily shareable
○ Email or mobile opt-in via web form
○ Can require consumers to “like” your
Facebook page before entering
○ Re-tweet to enter (more viral) or
○ Link to web form to collect entries (collect
● SMS text message
○ Easy opt-in from anywhere
○ Can collect new email or SMS subscribers
○ Subject to SMS rules of the road
● Web opt-in form
○ Can be accessed via mobile: QR code
○ Link to it from any channel
According to some state laws, digital contests may need
to provide an alternate means of entry
Rich in Kensington, via Flickr
Before you start
To run a successful sweepstakes, you need:
● An enticing prize that:
○ is related to your business or brand
○ appeals to your target audience
○ promotes strategic partnerships
○ has viral capacity -- would you want to
share this, and with whom?
○ has a determined monetary value
● Content to promote the sweepstakes
○ Social content
○ Event marketing
● A stated set of rules determining how you will
manage the contest
● A hosted platform for your contest rules so
entrants can easily access them
desiitaly, via Flickr
● How will prizes be fulfilled/distributed?
● How will winners be notified?
● Instructions on how to claim prizes
● How long will the campaign last?
● What will be the legal age of entry?
● What does the opt-in process look like?
● What does the post opt-in process look like?
● How will you use content generated by entrants?
● How will you respond to issues and questions
during the campaign? (Is extra staff required?)
Determination of winners
● Every Xth entry wins
● The Xth entry wins
● Winners randomly selected at the end
○ Manually, or automatically
● First X number of entries wins
You should create an Official Rules document stating your
contest rules, including entry collection, winner notification
and fulfillment. Include dates!
freakgirl, via Flickr
Legal aspects of running a sweepstakes
Sweepstakes are governed by state and illegal lottery and consumer protection laws which you
MUST adhere to when running a sweepstakes. You are not protected by your sweepstakes
Here are a few basics to consider:
> Clearly state the mechanics of your online contest in your terms & conditions (i.e. start date,
duration, odds, entry process, prizes, winner determination & notification)
> Do not require a purchase (i.e. “No purchase necessary”), and know how state laws define
“purchase” (you may not be allowed to require an endorsement or opt-in)
> Obtain the appropriate rights and licenses from all entrants (these requirements may be
different for minors)
> Advertising a sweepstakes (no purchase necessary, eligibility requirements deadlines, how to
obtain Official Rules, and void where prohibited)
If you are concerned about legal issues related to your sweepstakes, consult with an
attorney specializing in sweepstakes and promotions law. Signal is happy to recommend
one to you.
safari_vacation, via Flickr
Twitter: @Signal or #GetSignal
Ask our team about your marketing plan: firstname.lastname@example.org
Next webinar: TBA
Wednesday, Oct 9 at 2PM CDT