WHAT THE PROJECT IS
• A project is a
unique, complex, nonroutine and connected
activities having one goal
or purpose that must be
completed by a specific
time, within budget and
CHARACTERISTICS OF PROJECT…
• Unique in Nature.
• Approved Budget.
• Limited resources.
• Element of risk.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT :
Project management is the skills. Tools and management
processes.. Required to undertake the project
Set of skills.
Suite of tools.
Series of processes.
• Initiation phase includes PROJECT start up. In this
phase problem or project is identified, solution is
agreed, and a project formed to produce.
BUSINESS PROBLEM :
Once a business case or problem is Identified, business case is
• Detailed definition of the problem.
• Analysis of the available solutions.
• Recommended solution and implementation plan .
PROJECT CHARTER :
“ The project charter defines the vision, objectives, scope and
deliverables (products) of the project”.
It provides the organizational structure and a summarized plan
of the activities, resources, and funds required to start a project.
APPOINTMENT OF PROJECT
At this stage scope of the project has been defined in detail and
the Project Team are ready to be appointed.
Once the project team is „Fully resourced ‟ the project office is
ready to be SET-UP.
SET UP PROJECT OFFICES :
Project offices are the physical environment provided to the
project team where they based.
• In planning it is ensured that the activities performed in
the execution phase of the project are properly
sequenced, Resourced, executed and controlled.
PROJECT PLAN :
• In planning, 1st step is to document the project plan.
• WBS (Work breakdown Structure) is identified. Which includes
hierarchical set of phases, Activities, and tasks to be performed
on the project.
• Activities and tasks are sequenced than a PROJECT
SCHEDULE is formed. Which will become the primary tool for
the project manager to assess the progress of the project.
RESOURCE PLAN :
• After project planning, it is necessary to allocate the resources
• Types of resources (Labor, equipment, machinery, materials )
• Total quantities of resources.
• Human skills or man power.
• Quantity of material resource.
FINANCIAL PLAN :
• Financial plan is prepared to identify the quantity of money
required for each step in the project.
QUALITY PLAN :
Meeting the quality expectations of the costumer is critical to the
success of the project.
RISK PLAN :
• Developing a clear risk plan is an important activity
within a planning phase as it necessary to mitigate all
critical project risks prior to entering the execution
phase of the project.
• Execution phase is typically the longest phase of the
project. It is phase within which the final product or the
last steps of the project are held.
PRODUCE PRODUCTS :
• This phase requires the physical construction of the
project for the acceptance by the costumer.
• Deliverables may b constructed in TWO WAYs :
WAYS TO CONSTRUCT A
Where each activity is
undertaken in sequence
until the deliverable is
where iterations of each
deliverable are constructed
until it meets the
requirements of the
MONITOR AND CONTROL :
It is the duty of project manager to control the following
things as well :
Cost of labor , materials, equipment etc.
Project closure involves a series of activities to wind up
the project, including :
Assessing whether the project completion criteria have
Identifying outstanding items.
Hand over plan.
Submitting the project closure report to the costumer or
project sponsor for approval.
• Did it result in the benefits defined in the business
• Did it achieve the objectives?
• Did it operate with the scope of the project charter?
• Did final products meet the criteria defined in quality
• Was it delivered according to schedule and within
METRO BUS PROJECT
Management of project
Risks with project