November 27 is the 331st day of the year (332nd in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar.
There are 34 days remaining until the end of the year.
* 1095 - Pope Urban II declares the First Crusade at the Council of Clermont.
* 1295 - The first elected representatives from Lancashire were called to Westminster by King
Edward I to attend what later became known as quot;The Model Parliamentquot;.
* 1703 - The first Eddystone Lighthouse is destroyed in the Great Storm of 1703.
* 1839 - In Boston, Massachusetts, the American Statistical Association is founded.
* 1863 - American Civil War: Confederate cavalry leader John Hunt Morgan and several of his
men escape the Ohio state prison and return safely to the South.
* 1868 - Indian Wars: Battle of Washita River - United States Army Lieutenant Colonel George
Armstrong Custer leads an attack on Cheyenne living on reservation land.
* 1895 - At the Swedish-Norwegian Club in Paris, Alfred Nobel signs his last will and testament,
setting aside his estate to establish the Nobel Prize after he dies.
* 1901 - U.S. Army War College is established.
* 1912 - Spain declares a protectorate over the north shore of Morocco.
* 1919 - Haiti becomes a signatory to the Buenos Aires copyright treaty.
* 1924 - In New York City the first Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is held.
* 1934 - Bank robber Baby Face Nelson dies in a shoot-out with the FBI.
* 1940 - In Romania, General Ion Antonescu's Iron Guard arrests and executes over 60 of exiled
King Carol II of Romania's aides, including former minister Nicolae Iorga.
* 1940 - World War II: At the Battle of Cape Spartivento, the Royal Navy engages the Regia
Marina in the Mediterranean.
* 1942 - World War II: At Toulon, the French navy scuttles its ships and submarines to keep
them out of Nazi hands.
* 1944 - World War II: An explosion at a RAF ammunition dump at Fauld, Staffordshire kills
* 1954 - Alger Hiss is released from prison after serving 44 months for perjury.
* 1960 - Gordie Howe was the first player to reach the NHL landmark of 1000 points.
* 1963 - The Convention on the Unification of Certain Points of Substantive Law on Patents for
Invention is signed at Strasbourg.
* 1964 - Cold War: Indian Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru appeals to the United States and the
Soviet Union to end nuclear testing and to start nuclear disarmament, stating that such an
action would quot;save humanity from the ultimate disasterquot;.
* 1965 - Vietnam War: The Pentagon tells U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson that if planned
operations were to succeed, the number of American troops in Vietnam has to be increased from
120,000 to 400,000.
* 1971 - Mars 2 of the Soviet space program landed on Mars.
* 1973 - The Twenty-fifth Amendment: The United States Senate votes 92 to 3 to confirm
Gerald Ford as Vice President of the United States (on December 6, the House confirmed him
387 to 35).
* 1975 - The Provisional IRA assassinates Ross McWhirter, after a press conference in which
McWhirter announced a reward for the capture of those responsible for multiple bombings and
shootings across England.
* 1978 - In San Francisco, California, city mayor George Moscone and openly gay city supervisor
Harvey Milk are assassinated by former supervisor Dan White.
* 1983 - A Colombian Boeing 747 crashes near Madrid's Barajas Airport, killing 183.
* 1990 - The British Conservative Party chooses John Major to succeed Margaret Thatcher as
Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
* 1991 - The United Nations Security Council adopts UN Security Council Resolution 721, leading
the way to the establishment of peacekeeping operations in Yugoslavia.
* 1992 - For the second time in a year, military forces try to overthrow president Carlos Andres
Perez in Venezuela.
* 1997 - Twenty-five are killed in the second Souhane massacre in Algeria.
* 1999 - The left-wing Labour Party takes control of the New Zealand government with leader
Helen Clark becoming the first elected female Prime Minister in New Zealand's history.
* 2001 - A hydrogen atmosphere is discovered on the extrasolar planet Osiris by the Hubble
Space Telescope, the first atmosphere detected on an extrasolar planet.
* 2005 - The first partial human face transplant is completed in Amiens, France.
* 2006 - The Canadian House of Commons endorses Prime Minister Stephen Harper's motion to
declare Québécois a nation within a unified Canada
* 1127 - Emperor Xiaozong of China (d. 1194)
* 1576 - Shimazu Tadatsune, Ruler of Satsuma (d. 1638)
* 1582 - Pierre Dupuy, French scholar (d. 1651)
* 1630 - Archduke Sigismund Francis of Austria (d. 1665)
* 1635 - Françoise d'Aubigné, marquise de Maintenon, wife of Louis XIV of France (d. 1719)
* 1701 - Anders Celsius, Swedish inventor and astronomer (d. 1744)
* 1710 - Robert Lowth, British bishop (d. 1787)
* 1746 - Robert Livingston, signer of the United States Declaration of Independence (d. 1813)
* 1754 - Georg Forster, German scientist (d. 1794)
* 1779 - Aimé, duc de Clermont-Tonnerre, French general (d. 1865)
* 1804 - Julius Benedict, German-born composer (d. 1885)
* 1809 - Fanny Kemble, British actress (d. 1893)
* 1833 - Princess Mary Adelaide of Cambridge (d. 1897)
* 1843 - Cornelius Vanderbilt II, American businessman (d. 1899)
* 1843 - Elizabeth Stride, victim of Jack the Ripper (d. 1888)
* 1857 - Charles Scott Sherrington, British physiologist, Nobel laureate (d. 1952)
* 1867 - Charles Koechlin, French composer (d. 1950)
* 1871 - Giovanni Giorgi, Italian physicist (d. 1950)
* 1874 - Charles A. Beard, American historian (d. 1948)
* 1874 - Chaim Weizmann, 1st President of Israel (d. 1952)
* 1894 - Amphilochius of Pochayiv, Ukrainian Orthodox saint (d. 1971)
* 1894 - Konosuke Matsushita, Japanese industrialist (d. 1989)
* 1897 - Vito Genovese, American mafioso (d. 1969)
* 1898 - Fredric Warburg, publisher and author (d. 1981)
* 1901 - Ted Husing, American sportscaster (d. 1962)
* 1903 - Lars Onsager, Norwegian chemist, Nobel laureate (d. 1976)
* 1907 - L. Sprague de Camp, American writer (d. 2000)
* 1909 - James Agee, American writer (d. 1955)
* 1909 - Anatoly Maltsev, Russian mathematician (d. 1967)
* 1911 - David Merrick, American stage producer (d. 2000)
* 1916 - Chick Hearn, American sportscaster (d. 2002)
* 1917 - Buffalo Bob Smith, American television host (d. 1998)
* 1920 - Abe Lenstra, Dutch footballer (d. 1985)
* 1920 - Buster Merryfield, English actor (d. 1999)
* 1921 - Alexander Dubček, Slovak politician (d. 1992)
* 1925 - John Maddox, British science writer and editor
* 1925 - Marshall Thompson, American actor (d. 1992)
* 1925 - Ernie Wise, British comedian (d. 1999)
* 1926 - Barbara Anderson, New Zealand author
* 1927 - Carlos José Castilho, Brazilian footballer (d. 1987)
* 1928 - Alekos Alexandrakis, Greek actor (d. 2005)
* 1928 - Ronald William quot;Joshquot; Kirby, British artist (d. 2001)
* 1930 - Joe DeNardo, Pittsburgh Meteorologist
* 1932 - Benigno Aquino, Jr., Philippine politician (d. 1983)
* 1933 - Jacques Godbout, French Canadian novelist, journalist and filmmaker
* 1934 - Ammo Baba, Iraqi-Assyrian footballer
* 1935 - Al Jackson, American drummer, producer and songwriter (d. 1975)
* 1937 - Gail Sheehy, American writer
* 1939 - Dave Giusti, American baseball player
* 1940 - Bruce Lee, American actor and martial artist (d. 1973)
* 1941 - Eddie Rabbitt, American singer (d. 1998)
* 1941 - Aimé Jacquet, French football manager
* 1942 - Manolo Blahnik, Spanish shoe designer
* 1942 - Henry Carr, American athlete
* 1942 - Jimi Hendrix, American guitarist (d. 1970)
* 1943 - Nicole Brossard, French Canadian poet
* 1945 - Alain de Cadenet, SPEED Channel personality
* 1948 - James L. Avery, Sr., American actor
* 1949 - Masanori Sekiya, Japanese racing driver
* 1950 - Gran Hamada, Japanese professional wrestler
* 1951 - Jayne Kennedy, American sportscaster and actress
* 1952 - Kathryn Bigelow, American film director
* 1952 - Sheila Copps, Canadian politician
* 1952 - Daryl Stuermer, American guitarist (Genesis)
* 1952 - James D. Wetherbee, American astronaut
* 1953 - Curtis Armstrong, American actor
* 1953 - Boris Grebenshchikov, Russian singer (Aquarium)
* 1954 - Patricia McPherson, American actress
* 1955 - Bill Nye (The science guy), American engineer and broadcaster
* 1955 - Pierre Mondou, Canadian ice hockey player
* 1956 - William Fichtner, American actor
* 1957 - Kenny Acheson, Northern Irish racecar driver
* 1957 - Caroline Kennedy, American journalist
* 1958 - Mike Scioscia, American baseball player and manager
* 1959 - Charlie Burchill, Scottish guitarist and keyboardist (Simple Minds)
* 1960 - Ken O'Brien, American football player
* 1960 - Kevin Henkes, American children's book writer/illustrator
* 1960 - Tim Pawlenty, American politician
* 1960 - Yulia Tymoshenko, Ukrainian prime minister
* 1961 - Steve Oedekerk, American film director, actor and comedian
* 1962 - Charlie Benante, American drummer (Anthrax)
* 1962 - Mike Bordin, American musician (Faith No More)
* 1962 - Davey Boy Smith, English professional wrestler (d. 2002)
* 1963 - Fisher Stevens, American actor
* 1966 - Andy Merrill, American voice actor
* 1967 - Shane Embury, British guitarist/bassist (Napalm Death, among others)
* 1967 - Robin Givens, American actress
* 1968 - Michael Vartan, French actor
* 1971 - Nick Van Exel, American basketball player
* 1973 - Samantha Harris, American model and host
* 1973 - Evan Karagias, American professional wrestler
* 1973 - Twista, American rapper
* 1975 - Martin Gramatica, Argentinian American football player
* 1976 - Jean Grae, South African-born rapper
* 1976 - Jaleel White, American actor
* 1978 - Jimmy Rollins, American baseball player
* 1978 - The Streets, English rapper
* 1978 - Radek Štěpánek, Czech tennis player
* 1978 - Shy Love, adult film actress
* 1978 - Tim Yeung, American drummer (Vital Remains)
* 1979 - Ricky Carmichael, American motocross racer
* 1979 - Hilary Hahn, American violinist
* 1979 - Shin Hyesung, Korean singer (Shinhwa)
* 1979 - Teemu Tainio, Finnish footballer
* 1980 - Michael Yardy, English cricketer
* 1981 - Matthew Taylor, English footballer
* 1985 - Alison Pill, Canadian actress
* 1986 - Suresh Kumar Raina, Indian cricketer
* 8 BC - Horace, Roman poet (b. 65 BC)
* 511 - Clovis I, King of the Franks
* 835 - Muhammad at-Taqi, Shia Imam (b. 811)
* 1198 - Queen Constance of Sicily, wife of Henry VI, Holy Roman Emperor (b. 1154)
* 1474 - Guillaume Dufay, Flemish composer
* 1570 - Jacopo Sansovino, Italian sculptor and architect (b. 1486)
* 1592 - Nakagawa Hidemasa, Japanese samurai commander (b. 1568)
* 1592 - King John III of Sweden (b. 1537)
* 1632 - John Eliot, English statesman (b. 1592)
* 1680 - Athanasius Kircher, German Jesuit scholar (b. 1601)
* 1754 - Abraham de Moivre, French mathematician (b. 1667)
* 1811 - Andrew Meikle, British mechanical engineer (b. 1719)
* 1852 - Ada Lovelace, British mathematician (b. 1815)
* 1895 - Alexandre Dumas, fils, French author (b. 1824)
* 1901 - Clement Studebaker, American automobile manufacturer (b. 1831)
* 1908 - Jean Albert Gaudry, French geologist (b. 1827)
* 1931 - Lya De Putti, Hungarian actress (b. 1899)
* 1932 - Evelyn Preer, American actress and singer (b. 1896)
* 1934 - Baby Face Nelson, American gangster (b. 1908)
* 1940 - Nicolae Iorga, Romanian writer and politician (executed)
* 1944 - Leonid Isaakovich Mandelshtam, Russian physicist (b. 1879)
* 1953 - Eugene O'Neill, American writer and Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1888)
* 1955 - Arthur Honegger, French-born Swiss composer (b. 1892)
* 1958 - Artur Rodziński, Polish conductor (b. 1892)
* 1973 - Frank Christian, American jazz trumpeter (b. 1887)
* 1975 - Ross McWhirter, British co-founder of the Guinness Book of Records (b. 1925)
* 1978 - Harvey Milk, American politician (assassinated) (b. 1930)
* 1978 - George Moscone, Mayor of San Francisco (assassinated) (b. 1929)
* 1980 - F. Burrall Hoffman, American architect (b. 1882)
* 1981 - Lotte Lenya, Austrian singer and actress (b. 1898)
* 1988 - John Carradine, American actor (b. 1906)
* 1990 - David White, American actor (b. 1916)
* 1992 - Ivan Generalić, Croatian painter (b. 1914)
* 1994 - Fernando Lopes-Graça, Portuguese composer and musicologist (b. 1906)
* 1998 - Barbara Acklin, American singer and songwriter (b. 1943)
* 1999 - Yasuhiro Kojima, wrestler (b. 1937
* 1999 - Alain Peyrefitte, French politician and author (b. 1925)
* 2000 - Len Shackleton, English former footballer (b. 1922)
* 2005 - Jocelyn Brando, American actress (b. 1919)
* 2005 - Joe Jones, American R&B singer (b. 1926)
* 2006 - Don Butterfield, American tuba player (b. 1923)
* 2006 - Casey Coleman, American sportscaster
* 2006 - Bebe Moore Campbell, American author (b. 1950)
* 2006 - Alan Freeman, British disc jockey known by his nickname 'Fluff' (b. 1927)
Holidays and Observances
* Feast of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal
* Barlaam and Josaphat