Today, Automobile industries are focusing on global
warming and saving non-renewable sources.
Bio diesel is one of the best solution of above
Since it is a renewable energy, produce less
emission and it is successfully implemented on
existing systems (cars).
WHAT IS BIODIESEL?
Biodiesel refers to a vegetable oil - or animal fat-
based diesel fuel consisting of long-
chain alkyl (methyl, ethyl, or propyl) esters.
Can be combined at any level with petroleum
diesel to fuel diesel engines.
• Bio diesel is environmental friendly.
• It can help reduce dependency on foreign oil.
• It offers similar power to diesel fuel.
• It is safer than conventional diesel.
• It can be made from waste products.
• It can be made at home easily.
• It gives out more nitrogen oxide emissions.
• It can only be used in diesel-powered engines.
• Higher viscosity.
• Poor cold flow properties
PROPERTIES DIESEL BIODIESEL ETHANOL DEE
Density 850 916 789 713.4
Kinematic viscosity at
Calorific value (kj/kg)
3.05 5.8 0.795 0.2230
42800 39400 29700 33892
Flash point ◦C
85 129 14 -45
Surface tension N/m at 20°C 0.023 0.025 0.02239 0.017
Latent heat of Evaporation kJ/kg 250 240 922 376
MAIN PROPERTIES OF BLENDING STOCK
• Diesel –biodiesel –diethyl ether blend(BDET)
and BDE shows better stability in diesel engine
• BSFC of BDET is slightly lower because of high
• BDET and BDE have high oxygen content than
B20,shows excellent ability to eliminate smoke
• NOx emission will be higher in BDE but HC
emissions will be low in comparison with B20.
• Padhi, S.K, Singh, R.K, 2010 Optimization of esterification and
transesterification of Mahua (Madhuca Indica) oil for
production of biodiesel
• Kambiz tahvildhari,Nargis davari B 2011,Biodiesel Production
from chicken fat based sources.
• Krish T Bharat ,Agni Bhattacharya 2012,The production and
analysis of biodiesel from chicken waste and a comparison of
• Nagarhalli M.V, Nandedkar V.M 2010,Emission and
Performance characteristics of Karanja biodiesel and its
blends in a ci engine and its economics.
• Venkata Ramesh Mamilla, M. V. Mallikarjun, Dr. G.Lakshmi
Narayana Rao, Preparation of Biodiesel from Karanja Oil