Direct marketing and direct selling
▪ Direct marketing is the use of consumer direct channels to reach and deliver
goods and services to consumers without using marketing middlemen.
▪ It helps the companies to opening dialogue directly between themselves & the end
consumers of their products.
▪ It is targeted at individual users rather than through intermediaries.
▪ Company markets through various advertising media that interact directly with
consumers, generally encouraging the consumer to make a direct response.
▪ In other words, direct marketing consists of direct communications with carefully
targeted consumers to obtain an immediate response.
▪ However, the ultimate purpose of direct marketing is to establish and manage
direct long term relationships with customers by capturing personal information
in a database.
▪ Marketer send birthday cards, information materials and small premiums to
▪ Direct marketing can help sales to grow when used along with sales promotions
and advertising campaigns.
▪ It is also useful for small businesses through guest books, visitors lists, and lists of
enquiries. These operations rely on repeat business.
▪ Direct marketing builds relationships; it is an important tool in customer
relationship management (CRM).
▪ It helps to measure response to campaigns to decide which media is most
▪ It helps to find cost effective approach of media.
▪ Home shopping can be fun, convenient & hassle free.
▪ Buyers get good services from the company like toll free numbers for purchasing
or ordering goods.
▪ It provides quick delivery of goods to the consumers.
▪ It saves time and introduces consumer to a larger selection of merchandise.
▪ Consumer can do comparative shopping by browsing through mail catalogs and
online shopping services.
Forms of direct marketing:
Direct mail marketing:
▪ It involves sending an offer, announcement , reminder or other item to a person
▪ Marketers send out millions of mail pieces each year, using highly selective
▪ It is a popular medium as it permits target market selectivity, can be personalized,
▪ Cost involved is very high than the mass media but the people reached are better
In this type of marketing seller prepares catalogues of merchandise or products and sells
directly to customers.
Catalogues are generally in printed form but can also be distributed in the form of CDs .
To reduce printing and distribution costs catalogues are being increasingly made online.
Products from various companies or vendors may be combined into a single catalogue to
provide a one point shop for customer looking out for a particular type of product
▪ Telemarketing is the use of telephone and call centers to attract prospects , sell to existing
customers and provide service by taking orders and answering questions.
▪ Companies use call centers for inbound telemarketing- receiving calls from customers and
outbound marketing- initiating calls to prospects and customers.
▪ Effective telemarketing depends on choosing the right telemarketer , training them well &
providing performance incentives.
▪ Advantages: Likely to replace more expensive field-sales call.
▪ Reduces amount of personal selling effort.
▪ Reduce field-force travelling calls.
▪ Telemarketing pioneer.
▪ It offers more than a thousand products backed by a 24*7 call
▪ Diversified its operations by opening an online store.
Cosmetic company L’Oreal India has a toll free number on
which it offers expert advice about looking good.
Direct response marketing
▪ Direct marketing via television (commonly referred to as DRTV) has two basic
long form (usually half-hour or hour-long segments that explain a product in
detail and are commonly referred to as infomercials) & short form, which refers to
typical 30-second or 60-second commercials that ask viewers for an immediate
response (typically to call a phone number on screen or go to a website).
▪ Infomercials promote products that are complicated or technologically advanced,
or require a great deal of explanation.
Company promotes the concept of home shopping by a way of media and
television advertisements of various products by showing their features, use and
A toll free number is flashed on the television screen when infomercials are
The consumer can call the number for the demonstration and delivery of the
Kiosk- A small, temporary, stand-alone booth used in high-foot-traffic areas for
A kiosk will usually be manned by one or two individuals who help attract
attention to the booth to get new customers.
Kiosks are machines kept in shopping malls and other such places by
organizations to spread the information and generate orders from customers who
visit such Free standing, semi-permanent display or retail outlet, within a large
retail establishment or a shopping mall
Kiosk marketing :
Ambi Pur , a perfume company dealing in room fresheners organized a kiosk marketing
campaign in the Nirmal lifestyle, Mumbai.
Attracted a lot of parents who came in with their children and stopped by the kiosk & got
information about the co.
The objective of the campaign was to create awareness about the product among the target
consumers, mainly the households.
It is the sale of a consumer
product or service, person-to-
person, away from a fixed retail
Direct sellers are not employees
of the company but are
independent contractors, also
referred to as consultants or
distributors who market & sell the
products or services of a company
in return for a commission on
▪ In this era of competition no company can rely on single direct marketing form.
▪ So companies use one of the form of direct marketing or a combination of these
marketing forms in order to stand out of the rest.
▪ For example :AVON