News should be to inform, educate and entertain
Teach India and JaagoGrahakJaago helps in
spreading awareness about human rights and
Functions of News
• Information and Interpretation: The
News provides information to people
about various events, issues and
occurrences the world-wide.
• Opinion Building: Readers to build
opinion about various national and
international issues, events and policies
• Education: Topic ranging from news to
literature, supplies the readers up-to-
date information about science about
science and technology and also
promotes civilization in the society.
• Entertainment: Features, stories of
human interest and cartoons
• Advertising: Sale of various goods
and services through its
What is a Beat?
“Usual road or path taken by a person
on a regular basis.”
• Beat Reporting:
– Specialized reporting, is a genre of journalism that can be described
as the craft of in-depth reporting on a particular issue, sector,
organization or institution over time.
– Beat reporters will also build up a rapport with sources that they visit
again and again, allowing for trust to build between the journalist and
his/her source of information.
• A Beat in the Newspaper Parlance:
– Expected to develop sources, i.e. people who have information about
their subject matter, so they can better gather news and find scoops.
– Beats include the cops, courts and city council. More specialized beats
can include areas like science and technology, sports or business
• How the Beat Reporting
– Reporters have the
concentrate on particular
areas of the news.
– Each of these areas is
called a round because
journalists used to go
round to all of their
contacts in their
specialist area on a
regular basis, known as
“doing the rounds”.
Popular News Beats:
• Arts and entertainment
• Census 2000
• City and suburb
• Politics and policy
“Because of the power of media is so extensive
and huge, it can be used to educate people with
very little cost”
News to Educate
1. Current Events Study
and its analysis:
2. Vocational Knowledge:
Newspapers bring out
information about the job
about production and
consumption of wealth
• Development of Socio-Political
– The educative role of newspaper is to bring
about proper knowledge and the socio-
political awareness among the people.
– Ensure better understanding of people about
their rights and duties as citizens and act as
the public platform to express views even
against the Government.
How does the News affect
Facts about current affairs .
Students learn new or unfamiliar words, expressions .
May use in their conversations with their friends.
Youth are educated on social, political and economic issues .
The News educates both the youth and adults on the opinions .
Educates people about new inventions, discoveries and
developments in Science, Technology, Health and Diseases.
When students read newspapers, they learn about different .
News to Provide Information
The News also serves as a means to provide Information to the
Public. It may consist of News and Stories on, Local, National as
well as Foreign levels.
• Newspapers give information on current and existing
laws, rules, regulations and bye-laws.
• Easily obtain information on the problems facing
their country and other countries e.g. food shortage.
• Advertisements, information can be obtained from
newspapers on types of goods one wants to buy and
in which shops they can be located.
• Current Affairs: Major duties of news today is
to inform the people about the latest
happening around them and the world.
Newspapers in Entertainment
Entertainment is an activity designed to give pleasure,
enjoyment, diversion, amusement or relaxation to an audience.
• Newspapers provide advertisement on
entertainment, that is, various forms, venue, date
• Some students read newspapers during their free
time as a form of entertainment.
• Challenging and entertaining.
• Get a lot of fun from reading jokes, poems, comics
and cartoons in newspapers.
News to Create Awareness
News serves a major means of creating awareness amongst
people. This awareness may be in different areas, may be
on crime, laws, rules and regulations, natural disasters,
wars, the Stock Exchange, etc.
News is the overseer of the political system. If it plays
its role honestly, it will be a great force in building the
Warning against a storm or
epidemic, delay in arrival or
departure of flights and
They advertise in media for the
enhancement of business