• ‘Paisa boltha hai’ song from Kala Bazar • RBI logo• RBI recently launched a web site explaining ways to detect a counterfeit note called ‘www.paisaboltahai.rbi.org.in’
2)• The logo originally resembled a deformed radiation warning symbol. Controversially the working name of this project was “The Manhattan project” referring to the US Nuclear Weapons initiative. According to the creator, the outcome of this project (and its sister project) was to displace Japan from the top spot in this specific industry quite similar to the actual outcome of the Manhattan project, hence the name. However this meaning is publicly denied by the company in question and it claims that it is simply an artistic design.• Name the product and the company.
3)• The warmth between these X and Y grew out of mutual respect for each other’s teams. This led to some remarkable displays of generosity and charity when the teams were at their lowest. • This warmth grew out of a European cup match where X’s team was held to a 2‐2 draw at Y’s home ground (X’s team went on to win 5‐3 on aggregate). X was so impressed by the spirit and quality of Y’s side that X offered Y a job which Y politely declined because he wanted to win the European Cup with his squad.• A few years later, X offered to loan Z to Y’s club. Z was willing to go to Y’s club til the end of the season taking a paycut however the FA closed the deal down because Z was so good that he would have taken the place of a homegrown player.
• X‐ Bernabeu• Y‐ Matt Busby• Z‐Alfredo Di Stefano
4)• Shown below is the picture of a Kinetoscope or an early motion picture exhibition device. It allowed one person to view a minute worth of moving images through the peephole viewer at the top of the device. This was the standard for cinematic projection before the advent of the video.• Initially multiple devices were found together and each device would charge a person a certain amount of money allowing them to view that minute worth of footage.• Later this developed into one of the world’s first “movie” theaters, charging people the same amount of money for entry thus giving rise to their nickname X. • Slowly these Xs went out of business as movie theaters became more popular.• X is however remembered today for a similar yet slightly different reason.• X?
5)• In February 2013, John M. Broder published an article in the New York Times about a car produced by X’s company Y. The article ripped apart the car mainly highlighting its inability to cover a 265 mile distance despite the company claiming that the car would easily cover 300 miles.• X then proceeded to accuse Broder of faking the article and driving around in circles before actually setting on the journey. • As of Feb 26, Y announced that they have lost close to $100 million dollars worth of orders after people read the article and the argument between Y and the New York Times still continues. X? Y?
6)• The Halley VI Antarctic research station opened recently on the floating Brunt Ice Shelf in Antarctica. • This $40.6 million facility was built to withstand the elements on this ice shelf.• Normal buildings usually get buried under 3 feet of ice annually so the architects of the facility cleverly added hydraulic legs to the bottom of the building allowing it to maneuver the structure out of the built‐up snow.• Normal buildings also face the risk of being caught on a broken off piece of ice. What did the architects do to counter this problem?
• The hydraulic legs were attached to skis.• The research station is simply dragged away to avoid danger
7)• There is an advertising firm in Japan called Absolute Territory PR which has recently hit upon an advertising goldmine. • Their strategy involves advertising their client’s products on absolute territory ( as the name suggests).• What is absolute territory?
• This is a picture of University of Pennsylvania’s College Hall, the oldest building on the campus. • Famed artist Charles X was an architecture student at Upenn in the 1930s and used this building as his inspiration to design his most famous work.• What did he create?
• The Chandigarh marketplace was converted into the abbotabad bazaar for the movie.• The various stall owners made unbelievable sales during the shooting period.• The celebration was a result of ZDT winning the oscar for best sound editing.
11)• X was a structure proposed to be constructed in 1862 by Chief Engineer George Turnbull.• X was the third largest of its kind in the world , at the time it was finally built, in 1943 and has since then been surpassed by three others , making it the sixth largest of its kind.• Recently, X has become an endangered structure , as a result of excessive pan‐spitting on its base and joints. The spitting has become such a menace that the hanger bases have reduced to 50% of their original size in just three years.
• Thousands of people spit guthka ‐ a chewable mixture of tobacco and slaked lime. They also spit paan ‐ betel leaf stuffed with areca nut, slaked lime and other ingredients.• The government has decided to put up fibreglass covers around the bases and since its washable, whenever spit accumulates, the fibreglass covers are cleaned.• ID X
12)• Franz Reichelt was an Austrian born French tailor , and a part time inventor. His experiments were always a series of trial and error setups, with modifications to his invention based on the results of experiments. The experiments mostly ended in failure, and in desperation , attempted a final experiment. This ended in failure , resulting in him jumping to death from the Eiffel Tower.• Following his death , the design was developed and patented by Glen Kotelnikov , with Reichelt being forgotten. However , Reichelt is still remembered as the pioneer of X, his design.• What are we talking about ?
13)• Among the scientific equipment carried by the Mars Rover of 2011 , was X (unusual for a space visit), used as an on‐board camera calibrating gadget. The camera , a Mars Hand Lens Imager , captured pictures of X to ensure that the equipment were working properly.• Scientists justified the inclusion of X as a calibrating object , stating that geologists compare the size of rocks with X , by placing them beside each other.• This particular X , was initially the possession of the man in charge of the Rover’s camera operations , and was named the special VDB X , after Victor David Brenner , who created this particular design of X for Lincoln and Roosevelt.• ID X?
14)• The columnist Ramachandra Guha writes about Xs cricketing interests in the following paragraph.• The only evidence of X’s interest in cricket that I know of is contained in a newspaper essay of 1958 by the journalist Harish Booch. Booch had just met one of the X’s classmates at Alfred High School, Rajkot. This man, Ratilal Ghelabhai Mehta, remembered X as “a dashing cricketer” who “evinced a keen interest in the game as a school student”. He was, it seems, “good both at batting and bowling”, and had an uncanny understanding of the game’s uncertainties as well. Mehta spoke of a match they had watched together as schoolboys, played between Rajkot city and Rajkot cantonment. Apparently, “at a crucial moment in the match, as if through intuition, X said a particular player would be out and hey presto, that batsman was really out!”• Identify X
15)• Despite being written in upper case, the companys name is not an acronym, but was chosen because it can be pronounced easily by people who speak any language. After acquiring the Drouot Group in 1982, the company hired an outside consultant to conduct a computer‐aided search for a new name. The selection criteria consisted of a short and snappy name to convey vitality, a name that begins with the letter A so that it would appear near the top of all lists, and something that could be pronounced easily in every language, consistent with the groups desire for an international presence. Which company?
GEN QUIZ FINALS A TO T ROUND 20 Variables : + 2 for every correct +10 bonus if all correct NO NEGATIVES
ID A TO T • In Indian Mythology, ‘A’ is considered to be the "Principal Architect of the Universe “ , and the abstract form of the creator God in the Rig Veda. A’s daughter Sanjana complained to her father that she was unable to close to her husband Surya, the sun god because of his blazing light and heat. ‘A’ approached Surya and made him shine less so that his daughter could hug him. ‘A’ then proceeded to collect the left over sun "dust" and made three items out of it namely ‘B’ , ‘C’ and ‘D’ . • ‘B’ is considered as the chief mode of transport for ‘E’; and ‘C’ is a weapon used by ‘F’. ‘D’ is the protective weapon of ‘G’ , and is derived from the sanskrit words meaning ‘Good’ – ‘Vision’.
• ‘B’ was initally thought to have been built by ‘A’ for Bramha , who gifted it to ‘H’ , the step brother of ‘E’ , from whom ‘E’ stole it. Myth has it that ‘F’ and his wife requested ‘A’ to build them a golden castle outside the Indian landmass, and invited ‘E’ to perform the house warming ceremony grihapravesh. As dakshina for the ceremony , ‘E’ asked the Palace for himself , which ‘F’ agrees to give to him. • ‘B’ also happens to be the name of an Indian Silent film in 1987 , directed by Singeetham Srinivasa Rao starring ‘I’ in the main role. The director won the National Award for ‘Best Popular Film providing Wholesome Entertainment ‘ in 1988. ‘I’ also starred in the Indian Film ‘J’ , with ‘J’ also meaning the supreme form of ‘G’. One of the forms of ‘G’ is ‘K’ who displayed his supreme form to ‘L’ during battle, which forms the basis of the Scripture ‘M’.
• During the World War II , 1945, the famous physicist ‘N’ took inspiration from ‘M’ , before test firing the atom bomb , as a part of the famous project titled ‘O’.• ‘O’ happens to be the name of a famous comic character in the DC comic series ‘P’. Microsoft designer Vincent Connare admits that ‘P’ along with “The Dark Knight Returns” had a very strong influence on him when he created ‘Q’. ‘Q’ was a part of Google’s April Fool Prank where Google put up a false survey that pages with ‘Q’ are read more thoroughly than pages with the standard ‘R’ , and created the fake extension “Q for everyone “. • ‘C’ is a type of weapon which is also associated with the Roman God Neptune , and a popular computer communication standard ‘S’s symbol is based. ‘S’ was invented/modelled by Indian American computer Architect ‘T’ , who then worked for Intel. SOLVE!
• A – Vishwakarma L ‐ Arjuna• B – Pushpaka Vimana M –Bhagawad Gita• C – Trishula N – Robert Oppenheimer• D – Sudharshana Chakra O – Manhattan • E – Raavana P – Watchmen• F – Shiva Q – MS Comic Sans• G – Vishnu R – Arial• H – Kubera S – USB Port • I – KamalHaasan T – Ajay Bhatt• J – Vishwaroopam• K ‐ Krishna
ROUND 2 (ANTI CLOCKWISE)• +10 on bounce• +10/‐10 on pounce• Infinite pounces
1)• In 1665, London witnessed an outbreak of plague, killing over 30k people. The monarchy of London carried out a certain practise of marking the houses of the ‘infected’ with a certain symbol , to distinguish them from the rest. This symbol exists even today , but for a different reason. What ?
2)• X is a festival held every two years at several locations in Catalonia , Spain. This festival involves the building and dismantling of human tower structures in succession. •On November , 2010 , X was declared by UNESCO to be amongst the “Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity”. •The motto of X is "Força, equilibri, valor i seny" (Strength, balance, courage and common sense). •What is X ?
3)• X is a company is responsible for the construction of structures like the – 1.Blaise Diagne International Airport, Senegal ; 2.Kuala Lumpur International Airport, Malaysia; 3.Sharjah International Airport Expansion & Development, UAE; 4.University of Sharjah, UAE• Considered the largest construction firm in the world, they recently signed a US$1.23 billion contract to construct the tallest building in the world, Kingdom Tower in Jeddah.• This group is how ever better known for a more famous reason . What ?
SAUDI BIN LADIN GROUP – OWNED BY BROTHER OF OBL
4)• The Katapayadi System is a system used in the melakarta raagas of carnatic music where two syllables of a name are combined to give a number, termed as the melakarta number. The melakarta number for each raaga is within the range of 1‐72. •A rough procedure involves obtaining the first two syllables of the raaga , reversing it and converting it into its numeric equivalent , as in the Katapayadi system , before performing some elementary mathematical operations on it. We however know this concept in a different way today . What ?
THE BASIS OF MODERN ‘HASHING’ ALGORITHMS IN COMPUTER SCIENCE. • The melakarta ragas of the Carnatic music is named so that the first two syllables of the name will give its number. This system used is called the Ka‐ta‐pa‐ya‐di sankhya. The Swaras Sa and Pa are fixed, and here is how to get the other swaras from the melakarta number.• Melakartas 1 through 36 have Ma1 and those from 37 through 72 have Ma2.• The other notes are derived by noting the (integral part of the) quotient and remainder when one less than the melakarta number is divided by 6.• Example : Raga Dheerasankarabharanam• The katapayadi scheme associates dha9 and ra2, hence the ragas melakarta number is 29 (92 reversed). Now 29 36, hence Dheerasankarabharanam has Ma1. Divide 28 (1 less than 29)by 6, the quotient is 4 and the remainder 4. Therefore, this raga has Ri2, Ga3 (quotient is 4) and Da2, Ni3 (remainder is 4). Therefore, this ragas scale is Sa Ri2 Ga3 Ma1 Pa Da2 Ni3 SA.
5)• X is a street in Chennai , which has been a subject of controversy , after its accidental renaming by the Chennai Corporation , which translates to “Murderer’s Den “. The residents claim that the street was well known for its resident women practising a form of folk dance, which gave the street/locality a name _______ , which accidently got renamed to X , and ever since then the name has stuck. • The councillor of the area has also said that his efforts to rename the streets as Gaudiya Math Lane 1 and 2 , have failed. ID this unfortunate street name X ?
KOLAKAARAN PETTAI !! • It was supposed to be named Kolakkaram Lane , after the residents who performed the dance form ‘Kolattam’, but got grossly renamed !
6)• Clive Palmer is a businessman from Queensland, Australia, most widely known as owner of Mineralogy and for his investments in other natural resource companies. He has been described as an "eccentric billionaire". Some of his ambitious projects have been to create a massive Jurassic Park style dinosaur theme park at his golf resort and a company called Zeppelin International, with the intention of making a commercially viable Zeppelin. Clive has also claimed that he was the target of a conspiracy involving Barack Obama, the CIA, the Rockefeller Foundation and Greenpeace, who he believed were attempting to close down his mining operation. He has gained a reputation in Australia for floating ambitious and unusual business ideas which he fails to see through. In April 2012, he announced a project which on its proposed completion in 2016 in China, would be in memory of something that happened exactly hundred years ago. Many people have described this as just another classic Clive Palmer announcement. What?
• THE NEXT QUESTION HAS TWO PARTS : PART 1 WORTH +10 PART 2 WORTH + 5• Pounce applies as usual.
PART TWO : The US Government was forced to apologize to this country for a specific reason in September 2010 , following the meeting of the Leaders of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations with President Barack Obama. Why ?PUT FUNDA.
• PART 1 : The flags are the War Flags of the nations , hoisted or waved during times of war , or carried by Battling contingents and the armies of the nations• PART 2 : Philippines does not have a separate war flag , but simply inverts its flag with the Red side facing up during times of war. During the conference , the Philippines flag was wrongly displayed in an inverted fashion, for which the US Government and Embassy apologized
8)• John Hinckley Jr . admitted that he developed an infatuation for Jodie Foster , after watching her play the role of a child prostitute in Taxi Driver. He began stalking her and began slipping poems and messages under her door and repeatedly phoning her.• After all attempts ended in failure , he decided to take up a new strategy to impress her. He even wrote to Jodie Foster : "Over the past seven months Ive left you dozens of poems, letters and love messages in the faint hope that you could develop an interest in me. Although we talked on the phone a couple of times I never had the nerve to simply approach you and introduce myself.... The reason Im going ahead with this attempt now is because I cannot wait any longer to impress you." What did he attempt ?
• Attempts the Assassination of President Ronald Reagan , after being inspired by the role of Robert De Niro in The 1976 Film – The Taxi Driver !
10) IF THE FOLLOWING ARE THE SEVEN IN A LIST, WHO IS THE EIGHTH ?
SIR RAVINDRA JADEJA !• WG Grace, Bill Ponsford, Don Bradman, Wally Hammond, Graeme Hick, Brian Lara and Michael Hussey are the seven people to have scored three triple centuries in first class cricket and two triple centuries in the same season. SIR RAVI is the eighth and the most recent addition to this list
11)• During the 2012 London Olympics, the organisers renamed the metro stations to famous olympians.• Only three Indians featured in this list. Name them.
12) • This statue of Narasimha in hampi was long considered to be Ugra Narasimha ( ugra meaning Terrifying) • However research has shown that the statue was sculpted differently in 1528 A.D. during the rule of Krishnadevaraya. • The statue was mutilated and part of the original fell down and hence the misnomer. • What fell off?
GODDESS LAKSHMI• The statue was initially sculpted as a Lakshmi‐ Narasimha statue but during the fall of Vijaynagara, the statue was damaged and the goddess lakshmi fell off leaving the statue in it’s current state.
13)• Polytron technologies, a Taiwan‐based electronic and optical glass specialists company, has developed the prototype of the XY.• It uses switchable glass, which contains liquid crystal molecules and an electric current to generate a typical Y display, though currently not all parts of XY are X. • What is XY?
15)• Götterdämmerung is the last in Richard Wagners cycle of four operas titled Der Ring des Nibelungen translating to the The Ring of the Nibelung. The main lady in the opera is the valkyrie (chooser of who is to live and die), Brunnhilde, who is traditionally presented as a very plump lady with horned helmet, spear and round shield. Her aria lasts almost twenty minutes and leads directly to the end of the opera, where she lights up a funeral pyre along the banks of a river , and mounts her horse and rides into the flame , immolating herself. Following this , the flames flare up , the river overflows its banks , and the ‘Gods’ are consumed in the fire , marking the end of the ‘world’ (atleast in the play) and the play ends.• Despite the opera having been performed in 1876 , the Götterdämmerung is best remembered for its female protagonist , courtesy of a common reference in today’s world. WHAT ?