EVERETT M. ROGERS
• What is innovation
• Diffusion of innovation
• Diffusion and adoption of innovation
• Stages in Diffusion of innovation
• Diffusion of Innovation Curve
• Diffusion Process
• Innovation Decision Process
What is Innovation???
Transformation of an idea into something useful.
There are two different kinds of innovations
2.Development of new things
Diffusion of innovation
“Diffusion is the process by which an
innovation is communicated through media
over time among members of a social
Diffusion and Adoption of Innovation
• Diffusion is a macro process concerned with the
spread of a new product from its source to the
• Adoption is a micro process that focuses on the
stages through which an individual consumer passes
when deciding to accept or reject a new product.
Stages in Diffusion of innovation
2. Early adopters
3. Early majority
4. Late majority
Social system Time
It is any idea or product perceived by
the potential adopter to be new. New
products are ideas, behavior or things
that are qualitatively different from
Channels of Communication
• How quickly innovation spread depends on channel
• Correct communication channels used during the
process of diffusion, oriented towards behaviour and
preferences of the target category of adopters
• Internet, TV, radio, banners, Sms, News papers, e-
• It is a physical, social or cultural environment in which
people belong and within which they function:
• It can be of two type :
I. Traditional social system
II. Modern social system
• Backbone of diffusion process.
• it spread the study of diffusion in three distinct
1.The amount of purchase time.
2.The identification of adopter categories
3.The rate of adoption.
• Adoption is a major step in the diffusion
• Its is how consumer decides whether try
or not to try and adopt innovative
Diffusion of Innovations seeks to explain how
innovations are taken up in a population. An
innovation is an idea, behavior, or object
that is perceived as new by its audience.
diffusion in action: