Session 1: How
Session 2: Why
Five essential communication practices of effective leaders are :
- Mind the say-do gap
- Make the complex simple
- Find your own voice
- Be visible
- Listen with your eyes as well as your ears
How exactly the communication process works?
- 90% of communication effectiveness is based on non-verbal cues.
http: //www. dowjones. com/ factiva/ institutefiles/ Factiva-Effective-Communication-Knowledge-Profsmﬁ
T , Source
. f . i
n~*‘: munim’rinn effectiveness is hnserl nn hﬂh-l
Six Parts of communicating effectively are as follows:
- Set the environment right
- Organize your Communication
- Communicate with speech
- Communicate with body language
- Communicate effectively in conflict
- Conversation help
For any type of communication we need to deal with few skills which
will make a communication process effective, namely:
- Speaking Skills
- Listening Skills
- Reading Skills
- Writing Skills
In a survey conducted by QS Intelligence Unit(MSU) on Indian recruiting
giants likes of TCS, lnfosys, Wipro and others from IT sector give more
weightage to communication skills as compared to their global
C0unte| ’p(]| ’tS_ QS-Global Employer Survey Report 2011
How to be an effective speaker and acquire effective
~ Make your eye contact with audience
- Have a point and stick to it
- Speak clearly
«- Adjust your speech according to your audience
- Don't use one tone in whole speech
- Don't patronize
«- Be interesting
«- Be polite and use your hands
http: //www. wikihowcom/ Be-a-good-Speaker
How to be an effective listener and acquire effective listening skills?
- Listen with open mind
- Avoid comparing your personal experiences to that of speaker
- Maintain eye contact
- Sympathize and follow up with the speaker
- Knowing what to say
- Reassure speaker of your confidentiality
- Use appropriate body body posture
http: //www. wikihow. com/ Sample/ Listening-Tips
Eliminate distractions and make eye contact Stare so intently that you make the speaker
with the speaker. uncomfortable.
Nod or use other cues to show you're Interrupt or change the subject.
Show empathy. Share your own related stories unless you're
Listen objectively while the person is Plan your own response while they are
speaking. speaking and fail to hear everything.
Follow the speaker's lead regarding how Pry, or try to get the speaker to divulge things
much they wish to reveal. that are too personal.
Restate the speaker's points, if needed, to Continuously repeat the speaker word-for-
make sure you understood correctly. word.
Ask questions to prompt the speaker to think Offer your own opinions, unless you have
about possible alternatives. expertise that will help provide a solution.
Encourage the speaker and be optimistic. Be unrealistic or offer false enthusiasm.
Ensure conﬁdentiality. Repeat to anyone what you were told in
How to be an effective reader and acquire effective
- Skimming and scanning
~ Guessing from context
http: /[www. nclrcorgzessentialszreading/ stratreadhtm
F h I WWW. W|l(| h W. ITI B - - - K I’
How to acquire effective writing skills?
- Practice your writing(Write everyday, Cha| |enge yourself)
- Learning Vital Ski| |s(Expand your vocabulary, Learn Grammar, Read as
much as you can, Try to evolve your writing style according to situation )
- Use concrete language instead of the vague one
- Completing a written communication from start to finish(Do
brainstorming before writing, make a rough draft before writing, Rewrite-
h : //www. wikih w. m/ B — - —Wri r
iii‘1o3-m1L-1:4.-11:; .r: -‘minimmamanuaiada. :i1u1luq. -Laaomnumllancm
>4 IA x 1
How can we develop good feedback skills?
- Focusing on the specific behaviors
- Keep feedback impersonal
- Keep feedback goal oriented
- Make feedback time oriented
- Ensure understanding of the feedbacklconstructive
- Direct negative feedback towards the behavior
recipient can control
h : www. ex| rehr. r rile Per rmneA ri | Dv| in F k ki| |.hmI
Communication skills today have become imperative to functioning in life and
reasons for having your communication to be effective are:
- To reach consensus and build harmony.
- Effective communication looks for a common ground, negotiation points
and areas of specific importance to other person.
- Effective communication leads to flow of ideas in the conversation in more
free and smooth manner.
- Effective communication reduces stress of the situation and provides
better ideas as well as better solutions.
,7 http: //smallbusinesschron. com/ effe_c1ive-communication-imp_ortant—businesses—1339.html (
When people aren't communicating effectively:
- They may face problem in spending more time in conveying pertinent
- Communication that is not effective is never a communication, it is
- According to a global study sponsored by Siemens Enterprise
Communications, conducted by SIS International Research, on average,
70 percent of employee respondents of small and medium businesses
(SMBs) with up to 400 employees said they spend 17.5 hours each
week addressing the "pain points" caused by communication's barriers
http: //| ogosnoesis_com/ why-invest—in—effective-business-communication
Towers Watson's 2009/2010 Communication ROI Study Report on the
organizations having more then 10000 employees globally, "Capitalizing an
Effective Communication" found, "Companies that communicate with courage,
innovation and discipline, especially during times of economic challenge and
change, are more effective at engaging employees and achieving desired business
They discovered that most effective communicators had 47 percent higher total
returns to shareholders over a five-year span than the least effective
http: //smaIIbusiness. chron. com/ eftective-communication—impprtant-businesses-1339.html
? n. Ulllann nnnnln nrnr'+ rnnnrnn II‘: I'I'I‘l'; Pl'I' nF*Fnr'HunIu-
Cost which even businesses may have to pay if communication is not
- Inefficient coordination
- Waiting for information
- Unwanted communication
- Customer complaints
- Barrier to collaborations
According to a survey conducted by Business Today on Indian banking
Industry, they can save as much as 20 percent of hidden costs due to
fragmented and ineffective communications by improving communication
skills in your leaders and employees. It's clear that investing in developing
effective business communication will yield a significant return on
http_: [/www. ho| me5reporL; om/ Qpinion—info/10_6£i5/The—Co51—Qf—PQor—C_ommunica_ﬂ9ns. qspx