By , Dheemant P.R AmbedkarSenior Divisional Accounts Officer
---Dheemant P. R. AMBEDKARMahanayak Kanshiramji School of Thinking
The Quality of our thinking will determine the Quality of our Future. You can analyze the Past but you have to design the Future. Thinking is the Skill of Leading yourself, and Leadership is the Skill of helping Others to lead themselves. Thinking Skill is Life-Skill.
Thinking About Thinking? How do we must think? How to Think?
Director GeneralDheemant P R Ambedkar . C-4/207 , Natasha Enclave, NIBM, Kondhwa, Pune–411048. Ph: 020-26835230 M: 9822406581. Email : email@example.com
Edward de Bono revised Descartes famous philosophical axiom, „cogito ergo sum‟ (I think therefore I am).In Edward de Bonos improvement, it becomes „ago ergo erigo‟ (I act therefore I construct / act.)Are we really as Innovatie as we think we are?
Can be taught Thinking ? Or Thinking can be taught ? Example: -- Car : Intelligence. Driving Skill : Thinking Skill. Thinking can be taught and makes difference.The Six Hats Thinking benefits: 1. It gives Power. 2. It saves Time. 3. It avoids Ego or goes beyond Ego. 4. It improves Exploration. 5. It fosters Collaboration Behaviour. 6. It gives / improves Values. 7. It improves Innovation and Creativity. 8. We can learn to think Parallel with others.
1. Were all born skilled thinkers.2. Thinking requires a weekend, a hammock and a pitcher of lemonade.3. Breakthrough ideas come about mostly by accident.4. Feelings usually prevent good thinking.5. Smart people are the best thinkers.6. Too much thinking leads to inaction and too little thinking leads to superficiality. TRUE…… / FALSE ……
1. Thinking is most like: a. philosophy b. psychology c. karate2. Solving a problem is a matter of: a. finding the right answer b. using one proven technique c. discovering what works3. Resolving a conflict is a matter of: a. getting your way b. proving your adversary wrong c. bridging the gap between disagreement and agreement4. Tough decisions require: a. lots of information b. long periods of thinking c. short, focused bursts of thinking5. If you want to involve other people in your thinking, it‟s best to: a. ask others what they would do b. let someone else decide c. ask others for structured, thinking input3 Minutes - Answers: 1. 2. 3. 4. 5.
1. Thinking is a matter of Intelligence. Intelligence is determined by the Genes with whom you were born? You can no more change your thinking than you can truly change the colour of your eyes.2. Thinking is a Skill that can be improved by training, by practice and through learning to do it better. Thinking is no different from any other Skill and we can get getter at the skill of thinking if we have the will to do so.
TheCreative, Constructive, Design & Operating Aspects ofThinking, are just as important as „Knowledge‟.
1. Argument- Prove that someone is wrong / right.2. Judgement- Proved/Not proved, Right or Wrong3. Analysis- Obtain better data or information .4. Criticism- Critics or Logical Thinking.5. Journalistic Six: -- 5W & 1H6. “Raise the better question, You will get better answer.” --Alex Osborn‟s
1. Intelligence is like the Horsepower of a Car. It is possible that the „Intelligence‟ Potential of Mind is determined partly by Genes. Even so, there is evidence that the use of the mind can change the enzyme characteristics of the Brain just as the use of muscles can change their characteristics2. Performance of a Car does not depend upon the Horsepower of the Car but upon the Skill--Driving Skill with which the Driver drives the Car. So if intelligence is the Horsepower of the Car, then “Thinking” is the Skill with which the Horsepower is used.3. If you have a Powerful Car then you need to improve your Driving Skill. If you do not improve your driving skill then you will not be able to make full use of the available power. You may also be a danger to others. In a similar way, highly intelligent people need to improve their Thinking Skills in order to make full use of that high intelligence. Much of the potential of high intelligence is otherwise wasted.
Intelligence is a Potential. Thinking is an Operating Skill. The biggest enemy of thinking is the feeling that our thinging is pretty good anyway and we do not need to do anything about it.
P M I: Plus + Minus + Interesting C A F: Consider All FactorsRULES C & S: Consequences & Sequel A G O: Aims, Goals, ObjectivesPLANNING F I P: First Important Priority A P C: Alternatives, Possibility, ChoiceDECISIONS O P V: Other People Views
THINKING is the most important and essential Skill for one‟s better life.Do you need to learn Thinking Skill?
• Thinking is a skill.• Thinking is an operating skill.• Thinking can be learnt, improved, advanced, and taught & enjoyed.
Prepare to avoid or remove the obstacles in the Way of Thinking. This is the beginning in learning and improving in the Thinking. Regard thinking as a SKILL rather as a gift of God or Birth is the first step towards doing something to improve in THINKING. Be Creative Thinkers, we must be Free of Constraints of Traditions and History.
Obstacles Or Barriers In THINKING= ICE How to break this ICE? I2 INNOVATION & CREATIVITYI2 IMITATIONS POSITIVE & CONSTRUCTIVE INDIFFERNT ATTITUDE C6 SIMPLICITYC6 COMPLEXITY CLARITY CONFUSION INADEQUACY COMPLACENCY UNSATISFACTION CONTENTMENT MOVEMENT / IMPERMANENCE COMPLETENESS STRONG COMMITMENT COMMITMENT E2 BEYOUND EGOE2 EGO EMOTIONAL INTELLIGNECE EMOTIONS
Education is the intelligently directeddevelopment of the possibilitiesinherent in ordinary experience. --Prof. John Dewey (USA)
THINKING is an Operating Skill through which Intelligence acts upon Experiences. THINKING is the deliberate exploration of Experience for a Purpose . That Purpose may be Understanding, Decision-Making, Problem- solving, Planning, Judgment, Action, and so on.
1. Laying down Ideas along side each other,2. There is no clash, no dispute, and no true or false Judgement,3. A Genuine Exploration,4. Conclusion and Decision,5. Derive through a “Design Process”.
Those who needChanges / Transformation must have also Powerto shape and direct Them.
Power of Powers is Power of Possibility.Possibility is Driver of Thinking. Learn-Possibility, Teach-Possibility.
White Hat Facts and Figures. Information - Neutral Information (Without emotion and reaction) Think of white paper or computer / data. White Hat has to do with Data & Information. When you ask for White hat thinking at a meeting you are asking those present to put aside the proposals and arguments, and to focus directly on the information. For the moment everyone at the meeting looks to see what information is available , what is needed, and how it might be obtained
Red Hat Emotion, Feelings, Hunches, &Intuitions. Think of red as fire, warm, and emotion. Red Hat has to do with Feelings, Intuition, Hunches, and Emotions. (Only to express pure emotion honestly)In a serious meeting, you are not supposed to put forward youremotions, but people do this by disguising their emotions aslogic.Red Hat gives permission to put forward their feelings andintuitions without apology, without explanation and without anyneed to justify them.
Sombre & Serious, Cautious & Careful. Logical Negative, judgment, & Truth. (Beware of overuse of Negative Thinking) Black Hat is the „Caution‟ Hat and for critical Judgement. Black Hat prevents us from making mistakes, doing sillythings, and doing things which might be illegal. It points outwhy something cannot be done, and why something will notbe profitable. It is the most used & possibly the most usefulhat. The Black Hat is very valuable but overuse of it can be aproblem. Negative Thinking protect us from mistakes, risk-taking, and dangers.
Think of Sunshine, Think of Optimism. Hope & Benefits, Optimistic, Logical Positive, Values, Constructive, Speculative. Yellow Hat is for optimism & Logical Positive View of things. Y H Looks for feasibility & how something can be done, and also looks for benefits-- but these must be logically based. Y H Thinking often requires a deliberate effort.Every creative idea deserves some Y. H. Attention. Effectiveness is the aim of Y H Constructive Thinking.Positive Thinking has to be a mixture ofcuriosity, pleasure, greed, and the desire to „make thingshappen‟.
Think of Vegetation & rich growth. Think of Leaves and Branches. (Vegetation & fertile growth, Creativity, Generative, Energy Hat. New ideas, Possibilities, Alternatives. and Hypotheses.)Green Hat is the Creative Hat, for Creative Thinking, New Ideas, Additional Alternatives, putting forward Possibilities and Hypotheses. G.H. covers Provocation, & Movement, and requestsfor deliberate Creative Efforts. GH makes Times and Space availablefor Creative Thinking. It concerns with new ideas, new ways oflooking at things, a deliberate-focused effort in this direction. Creativity involves Provocation, Exploration & risk-taking. Wereplace Judgement and Movement. Movement/ Provocation/ Forwardare Key-Idioms of Lateral Thinking.
Blue Hat Think of Blue Sky above, Think of „Overview‟. Blue Hat is for Thinking about Thinking. (Observation, Overview, Summary, Conclusion, and Harvesting. Report, For Process Control.) B H is the Control Hat. The B H Thinker organizes the thinking itself, and explores the Subject.Blue Hat sets Agenda for Thinking, suggests next steps inThinking, & asks for summaries, conclusions and decisions.The chairperson / organizer usually uses B H, butother participants can put forward suggestions. B H us forOrganizing and controlling Thinking Process, so that itbecomes more productive. Thus, Thinking About Thinking.
Edward de Bono‟s Lateral Thinking Random Word listsoap coal eagle Informationmouse camel taxicloud diary souphair lawyer prisonice-cream cigarette shark Feelingsrocket toy diamondtax snow gunbed parachute train Cautionwheel door picturefrog tap beerfarm hurricane kitchen Edward de Bono‟s Six Thinking Hatscomputer watch nosejazz balloon elephanthat party wine Benefitscredit card shoe rosechurch root sawshop knife hospital Creativityhamburger smoke camerabook president bananascales button snail Managing the thinking
• What information do we have? • What are the objectives? Information • What information do we need? • How do we acquire the needed information? • I once read an article where... • That reminds me of an episode where... Feelings • It is my impression that... • What if we tried to...? • That is a bad idea because... Caution • Drilling in the reservoir is problematic because... • The risk of going forward on this is too high because... • The implementation will be difficult because... • It would be a good idea to... • The project is running well but it could run even better if... Benefits • The idea certainly has qualities in the area of... • The potentials of this idea are so great that we should attempt to... • The basics of this venture are similar to... Creativity • This is comparable to... • There is a likeness between this platform and... • The synergies between what your saying and what he is saying is... • This has been thoroughly covered. Next item is... • Will the yellow hat please elaborate on the subject...?Managing The Thinking • What is the documentation for the idea that...? • We need to involve these stakeholders to ensure that...
1. It gives Power.2. It saves Time.3. It avoids Ego or goes beyond Ego.4. It improves Exploration.5. It fosters Collaboration Behaviour.6. It gives / improves Values.7. It improves Innovation and Creativity.8. We can learn to think Parallel with others.
1. Let us maintain absolute Integrity to our Job.2. Let us maintain full devotion to Duty.3. Let us do nothing, which is unbecoming of a Government Servant.4. Open-mindedness.5. Whole-heartedness.6. Responsibility to face the consequences.7. Efficiency and excellence is our Merit.8. Courtesy with effectiveness is our Leadership
How TO THINK?Explore= Investigate the Unknown Regions. “ I will never forgive my Education System for not teaching me How to Think. ”
Mahanayak KanshiramjiSchool of Thinking Dheemant P R Ambedkar Director General C-4/207 , NATASHA ENCLAVE , OPP: NIBM , KONDHWA, PUNE–411048. Ph: 020-26835230 Mobile: 9822406581.