PRE-SPANISH SETTLEMENTS IN
PANGASINAN AND PAMPANGA
Before the arrival of the Spaniards led by Magellan in the
Philippines there where already settlements along the coasts, bays and
rivers in the country.
The Pangasinense settlements were called sitios.
There were already trade relations between the people from the
north with the people from the south during the Spanish Era
The trading was originally made via the South China Sea until the
Pangasinenses expanded their territories to the south discovering the
Agno River which gave birth to the Agno-Pampanga River System.
EARLY SETTLEMENT IN
The accessibility of the people from the north to the people from
the south via this trade route encouraged more Pangasinenses and
Ilocanos to settle along the Agno river system and the Pampangos
and the Tagalogs to settle along the Pampanga river system. This gave
rise to the Pampanga, Candaba and Arayat settlements.
This river trade route gave birth to the sitio of “Manggang
THE LEGEND OF
“Manggang Marikit” was a beautiful maiden who was hung by her
two suitors in a mango tree located at the heart of the locality because
of her fickle mindedness to choose who between her two suitors shall
be her husband. Unknown to each of the suitors she had answered
them both positively. Thus, realizing what the lady had done, both
suitors got angry. As a reprisal they agreed to hang her in a mango
tree within the plaza of the sitio.
OTHER SETTLEMENTS ALONG
THE AGNO RIVER SYSTEM
Binalatongan – now SAN CARLOS CITY
Bagnotan – now DAGUPAN
Ling-ngayen – now LINGAYEN
Malunguey – now BAYAMBANG
Talbang – now BAUTISTA
THE RE NAMING OF SITIO DE MANGGANG
MARIK IT TO PAMPANNIK I AND FINAL LY TO
In a short span of time, the Ilocano-speaking settlers increased
in number to the extent that they had popularized the name of the
sitio into Pampanikki because of the presence of numerous fruit
bats in the area, thus Manggang Marikit became popularly known
as Pampanniki. It was from these fruit bats where the present name
of Paniqui was derived.
When Spaniards came to the sitio, they can hardly pronounce
Pampanikki. Hence they shortened the name into sitio de Paniqui.
The spelling of the name Paniqui was again changed to Paniki during
the Quezon Commonwealth Government because of the compliance
with the Filipinonization of the names of places in the Philippines, its
spelling was reverted from Paniki to Paniqui because the latter was
preferred by the people.
Don Martin de Goiti – 1571
Don Juan Salcedo – 1574
THE DOMINICAN ORDER MISSION
IN SITIO PANIQUI BEFORE 1686
The acceptance of the Visita de Sta. Rosa de Lima of Sitio de Paniqui
by the Dominican Order in 1686.
Visita – A chapel in the community where services were conducted by
a visiting padre because the number of people served were few to merit
its own priest
Sta. Rosa de Lima was its own patroness and entrusted it to the care if
the Vicaria de Telbang (now Bautista, Pangasinan) padre Gregorio
THE FORMAL E STABL ISHME NT OF SITIO DE
PANIQUI INTO PUE BL O DE PANIQUI
In 1712 two brothers Raymundo and Manuel Paragas was sent
by the Provincial Government of Pangasinan to spread the Christian
faith and to form a local government unit.
The whole of Manggang Marikit was claimed by the brothers.
Raymundo Paragas became the first head if the Pueblo de Paniqui
SITIOS BELONGING TO THE
ESTABLISHED PUEBLO DE PANIQUI
Visita de San Isidro – now CUYAPO
Visita de Barog – now GERONA
Visita de San Jose de Camiling – now CAMILING
PUEBLO DE PANIQUI BECAME A
PARROQUIA IN 1718
As Don Raymundo and Manuel Paragas encouraged more and
more settlers to embrace the Christian Faith, the Pueblo de Paniqui
was made into a parroquia on May 4, 1718 with Sta. Rosa de Lima as
its patroness. Its first Cura Parocco (parish priest) was Padre Jose
Visita de Paniqui was made into a Parroquia and at the same time
elevated into a Vicaria de Sta. Rosa de Lima in 1718.
The town of paniqui from its original location along the Agno-
Pampanga river system was moved several times to different sites
during the Spanish period.
1720 – Pueblo de Paniqui was transferred from the west of the
Tarlac River to Nagmisaan site.
The place was named Nagmisaan because the evacuuees from the Pueblo de
Paniqui held their first Mass in the area.
REASONS OF TRANSFER
Negritos constantly attacked the pueblo.
The revolt made by Juan Caragay, a church servant of Dagupan
against the Spaniards in 1719.
1721 – Pueblo de Paniqui transferred from nagmisaan to Acocolao
The place was called Acocolao because the old women (acocolao) were usually
left behind by their husbands who worked outside the area.
Paniqui was a fluorishing town at that time, it consists around 76
The larger of these barangays were: “Bani” now RAMOS, “San
Ramon” now MONCADA, “San Jose de Anao now ANAO, “De Villa”
now PURA, “Binaca” now STA. IGNACIA
During this time, it was the first town of Pangasinan where Sultan
Alimuddin I of Jolo was baptized and his son, Israel and daughter, Fatima
were converted to Christianity.
1804 – Pueblo de Paniqui transferred to Pugong Cadanglaan site
Pugong Cadanglaan is a place where the dangla plants (Lagundi) thrived in
It was in Pugong Cadanglaan where the church, convent, town hall
and market were located.
The earliest building of the church and convent was reported by
Padre Manuel Mora, OP in 1804.
From then on, the town of Paniqui was never transferred.