Breif Overview of Fishing Sector in
Overall Imports and Exports
•On an international level, Pakistan has a good market
for fish and fish products. About 30% to 40% of the
total fish catch is exported to 30 countries of the world.
•About 80% of the total fish catch of Mekran Coast is
dried for export to the Middle East region.
•Ribbon fish, croakers, sole and some other species are
exported to Korea and China.
•Export of fish and fish preparations increased from
US$ 194.16 million in 2005-06 to US$ 296.8 million in
2010- 11, thus showing an average increase of 9% per
• Pakistan has two fishing seasons. The August
to November season is for shrimp, which are
mainly caught for exports.
• Fish are caught from October to June, the
peak being March to May.
Share of Different countries in the
• Water Pollution: Pollution on the coast of
Pakistan is mostly limited to the Karachi area..
Spillage of the oils from ships, domestic and
industrial waste is causing great harm to our
• Some of these chemicals have carcinogenic
qualities - toxic materials and heavy metals have
been found in the marine life.
• These dangerous substances are also entering
the food chain of the people whose diet
• Over-fishing: Another problem associated
with the fishing industry is the over-fishing of
shrimps throughout the year, even in the
• Threat to Mangroves: Mangroves act as a
barrier and protect the coastlines from high
and low tides. The mangroves, which are a
breeding ground for fish and shrimps, cannot
thrive well in polluted sea water..
Previous Steps in the R and D
• At the time of Partition, the fishing fleet was 100% sail driven, with non-existent
• The total revenue amounted to Rs.2.9 million and average earning of fishermen
was about Rs.60 per month. That was the situation of fisheries in 1947. The poor
availability of fish seed in the past had badly affected stocking programs and as a
result fish culture could not be developed on a large scale. With the
implementation of various development projects and research schemes, the sail
fishing boats were mechanized, trawlers were introduced, a fish harbor was
established and a cold storage was added to the existing facilities. Since then the
trawlers continued to increase year by year.
What Pakistan lags behind in the
• Pakistan being blessed with a wealth of fishery
resources, fails to utilize these resources to
their full potential, The result being under
developed fishery industry.
• This is what Porter speaks of in, factor
disadvantage, in which lack of resources leads
to better utilization .
What is causing this lag?
The main causes are
• lack of institutional facilities( advanced)
• shortage of fish seed (advanced)
• Cultural species (natural)
• lack of basic knowledge of fish farm and
capital to run new ventures (advanced)
• Inland fisheries are gaining much popularity
• inland resources include small rivers, dams
(Tarbela, Mangla and Chashma), lakes (Haleji,
Keenjhar and Manchhar), barrages, reservoirs,
ponds and canals.
Why are fisherman in Sind thrice that
• The effect of the Indus River Delta on the marine
resources of the coastline of Sind is substantial,
as this river system has been transporting
enormous quantities of nutrients and sediment
to the continental shelf for centuries.
• Pakistan has an extensive inland water areas
system, which is mainly dominated by the Indus
River. These water bodies, depending on their
type, possess varying potential for development
of the inland and aquaculture subsectors
Why should we invest in the fishery
• Fish is one of the best aquatic animals
that can help in supplementing the
• During the past two decades, most
countries (both developed and
developing) have made steady progress
towards increasing protein production
from aquatic resources. This is resulting
in an overall increase of harvest from
How to attract private investment?
• For the mobilization of private sector
important concessions, such as canal water
supplies at reduced rates
• seed supplies at nominal rates,
• tax holiday, and lease of government land for
fish farming [ Have been granted by the
Thus, theses measures would ensure fish
culture in private sector to a large extent.