Understanding website conversions
Presented by Sam Shetty
About Sam - Me
• Career started in IT and then started consulting for startup
• My belief has always been how technology and people can bridge
together for business, with a focus on innovative software to create
a better customer experience.
• Working with Netregistry for the past 9 years. Advising and helping
clients with their online strategies.
• An active speaker in the small business industry – trade shows,
government events and workshops
Who is Netregistry?
• Netregistry is Australia’s largest domain name & web hosting
provider. We are a one-stop-shop to help businesses get and grow
• Netregistry also offers email, web design, website security and
online marketing solutions
• Since launching in 1997, Netregistry has helped over 500,000
Australian business of all sizes grow online. With 1 in 3 Australian
domain names are registered with Netregistry.
• Netregistry aims to educate business owners through a range of
online resources, eBooks and workshops.
Common issues ?
• Does your website get enough traffic ?
• Are you struggling with website conversions?
• Are you targeting the right audience ?
• Is your website search engine friendly ?
• Is your website customer friendly ?
• Is your website quick to load ?
• Do you have the right call to action ?
• What does the online community think about your website?
Understanding your website visitors
• How many clicks on an average does it take for a visitor to convert ?
• How long from the first visit, does it take for a visitor to convert ?
• When do I need to appear for research keywords (eg “ Home loans”)
• When Do I need to appear for transactional keywords ?
• When is really the best /day /week /month to send an email to the client?
Questions you should be asking ?
• What is the purpose of the website ?
• What are you trying to get your users to do once they
arrive on your website ?
• Who is your target audience ?
• How are you going to measure success ?
Your website’s current position /traffic
Allows you to measure your current situation in terms of traffic and your search
Helps you to spy on competition traffic source and keyword strategy
Helps you to check on your competitors adwords campaigns
Great keywords research tool
Is Google recognising your efforts ?
Google webmaster tools : Free tool from Google for checking your current visibility.
Google webmaster tools gives you the following insights
How many websites are linking to your website
Alerts you when your website gets infected by Malware
Helps you submit your website sitemap to Google
Helps you understand your click through rates
Allows you to resubmit your website if it is blacklisted by Google
Content and Purchase
• Add to cart does not mean job is done.
• Add mini descriptions to in-cart and checkout screens.
• Add positive product reviews to confirmation emails to
• Ask customers to submit a video using your product
• Create a video contest to increase submissions
“ 36.4 % if visitors who abandoned their shopping cart engaged
with their automated email campaign” - Paypal
• Test site speed all the way through your
funnel, not just the homepage.
Is your website secure?
• 90% of businesses suffered some sort of
computer hack over the last 12 months
• More than 6,600 websites get added daily
to the Google malware blacklist
• 30% of all hacked websites is due to stolen
credentials such as FTP
• It takes 10 mins to crack a lowercase
password that is 6 characters long
My hosting, why should I bother ?
• Direct impact on your revenue
• Customer experience
• Repeat customers
• Mobile users
Is PPC right for me ?
• Does your business have a unique selling point ?
• Do you stock products ?
• Do you need to feed your sales team with leads ?
• Low cost of lead acquisition
• Do you need to measure ROI ?
• Ability to focus on specific locations , time zone
• Ability to change your marketing message daily
• Better conversions