• Caleb Gattegno is a person that devise the silent
• The premise this method that the teacher should
be silent as much as possible in the classroom but
the learner should be encouraged to produce as
much language as possible
• The elements of the silent way that particularly
are the of color charts and the colored
1. If the learner
repeats what is
to be learned.
that learning is
3. By problem
material to be
a. The increase in
This method belongs
to a tradition (Bruner
1966). And the
learning” are :
The Issues About The
The rods and the
This method is
b. The shift from
extrinsic to intrinsic
c. The learning of
d. The aid to
Language is composed of
phonological and suprasegmental
2. The silent way takes a structural
3. Vocabulary as a central
dimension of language learning
4. This “Functional vocabulary”
provides a key.
5. The artifical approach (the use of
silent awareness and active trial)
6.The learner must constantly test his
powers to abstract, analyze,
synthesize, and integrate (Scott)
7.Awareness is educable
8. Silent way acquire “inner criteria”
6. Teacher silence is
perhaps the unique and
for many traditionally
10. The colored
Cuisenaire rods are used
to directly link word and
9. “Fidels charts” are used
to visually illustrate
7. Silent way teacher’s
tasks as to teach, to test,
and to get out of the
way (Stevick 1980 : 56)
8. The teacher uses
gestures, charts, and
manipulatives in order to
elicit and shape student
1. Teacher empties rods onto the table
2. Teacher picked up 2 or 3 rods of different colors, and after each rod is
picked up says
3.Teacher hold up one rod of any color and indicates to a student that a
response is required
4. Teacher next picks up a red rod and says
5. Teacher picks up a green rod nd says
6. Teacher picks up either a red or green rod and elicits response from
7. Teacherintroduce three other colors in the
8. Teacher shows any of the rods whose form were
thought previously and elicits student response.
9. When mastery is achieved, teacher puts one
one red rod in plain view and says
10. Teacher then puts two red rods in plain view
11. Teacher places two green rods in view and
12. Teacher holds up two rods of a different color
and elicits student response
•Teacher introduce aditional numbers, based on what the class can
comfortable retain. Other colors might also be introduced.
•Rods are put in a pile. Teacher indicates, through his or her own
actions, that rods should be picked up, and the correct utterance
•Teacher then says
•Teacher indicates that the student should give the teacher the rods
•Teacher now indicates that the students should give each other
commands regarding the calling for of rods.
•Experimentation is encouraged.
1. The silent way
are much less
than might be
3. Activities in
1. Iqbal 10-111
Will silent way be efective when the class has
never been taught by this method before?
Will it focus or not on the material?
A : 1. Yes, it will. It makes the student happy ,enjoy,
and fun in the class.
2. yes, it will.
2. Anies 10-134
Is it possible for writing skill? How?
A : Yes, it is. It can be done by the task. It is teaching
about vocabulary and grammar. Writing coming from
The weakness and the strength?
A : the weakness >
the strength >
1. fluency and accuracy, memorize the materials
vocabulary and grammar, efficiency of time,
recall, active participation.
2. Focus on oral and aural skills, less focus on
reading and writing.
5. Heri 10-074
What kind of Intellectual potency is it? How?
It refers to cognition(the way for
thinking), it comes from knowing,
comprehending, applying, analysis,
Knowing, remembering, applying,
analysis, evaluation, creating