World of Incentive
Helen Atkinson Affiliate Manager
WHO IS MAXIMILES?
• Maximiles (formerly ipoints) is the European leader for online loyalty programmes
• Over 3 million UK members
• 1.6 million emailable members in the UK
• Maximiles.co.uk is the UK’s largest loyalty coalition programme
• Differing ways for members to collect points
WHY USE MAXIMILES?
• Larger than average customer basket size
• High email response rates
• Tactical merchant campaigns
• Highly targeted merchant offers
• Optimised web content
• Do you want to work with an already loyal online community?
• Difference between cashback and loyalty members
• Understand the affiliate database
– What information do they hold on members?
• Understand the conversion of CPA to points / cash
– 100% or less?
– How will a CPA increase impact the incentive offered?
• Can your brand feature onsite and over emails or just via one stream?
• Does the incentive site also offer voucher code functionality?
• Launch promotion
• Ongoing onsite and email promotion opportunities
• Marketing calendars and peak times
• Constant communication
How to Work with Incentive Sites
• Quality of traffic
• Brand loyalty
– Is the consumer loyal to the affiliate site or your brand?
– Is it possible to be loyal to both?
• CPA must be competitive
• Effective communication of CPA increases, sales, voucher codes,
prize draws etc
– How does the affiliate like to communicate?
• Not uncommon to be apprehensive
• Consider ‘soft launch’ approaches
– Limited homepage exposure
– Limited email exposure
– Small, highly targeted solus campaigns
• Never underestimate the power of small additions to the T&Cs
– Only valid for Maximiles Members
– One purchase per household
– Subject to fair use policy
– Maximiles and Brand xxx reserve the right to withdraw this offer at any
Don’t Want to Work with Loyalty?
• Use the affiliate manager – they know their members and what has worked
• Use your network account contact – they can draw experience from a number of
• Think about whether a CPA increase, voucher code or prize draw may encourage
the largest incremental growth
• Trial different onsite placements and email features to establish what delivers the
• Small, targeted solus emails are often more effective that larger, more ‘random’
• Consider both peak times for you and the affiliate
• Keep in constant communication
HOW DID THEY DO THAT?
• Brand awareness
• Drive Incremental sales
• Through data insight and interaction with members a history
of collecting and redeeming points was created.
• New members – Month one of new member site engagement
increased from an average eight unique visits to 12 unique visits.
• Re-engagement – Lapsed members from the last six months
decreased by 15%.
18% of members who had previously collected through only one
merchant then went on to shop across multiple merchants in the month
following the launch of the campaign.
• Shopping – Transactions through merchants featured increased by
an average of 22%
BI MONTHLY PARENTING CAMPAIGN
• Segmentation - To utilise our extensive database of both pregnant members and parents of babies and toddlers.
• Merchant engagement – To ensure ongoing member engagement with brands such as Mothercare, ELC, Argos, Toys r us,
• Driving incremental sales – Working with merchants on their chosen product lines.
• Maximiles developed close relationships with the above merchants and in return for additional
• Maximiles received increased commission, exclusive codes, free products, samples and
• Email – Average open rates were 27% with a click through rate of 18%, above industry averages.
• Shopping - 93% uplift in total sales compared to previous month.
• Customer Feedback - Positive feedback from members through posting recommendations
on social media platforms.
CANCER RESEARCH UK DIRECT GIVING
Maximiles worked closely with Cancer
Research UK Direct Giving to carry out a
targeted campaign onsite and via email sends
offering members increased points when they
registered for the12 month direct debit
• Driving incremental sales – Working with new merchant Cancer Research UK Direct
Giving to offer increased points to members for a limited time.
• Corporate Social Responsibility – To increase Maximiles Support to charity
merchants as an extension to the successful previous charity campaigns run with
Breast Cancer Campaign and The Prostate Cancer Charity
A vast amount of data was collected through the Maximiles polls on whether members
would donate to charity as well as finding out those charities they already donate too.
• Email – conversion rate from click to direct debit donation was 37%.
• Shopping – increase in sign-ups of 125% during the month of the campaign
compared to the average of the previous three months.
• Merchant Feedback – Extremely positive feedback from Cancer Research UK
with an increased uplift in sign-ups as well as an increase in transactions via
the Cancer Research UK Online Shop, run as a separate programme on Maximiles.
Lower than average opt-out rates for direct debit scheme.
Spin to Win
• Member Retention
• Member Acquisition
• Drive incremental sales
To encourage the desired behaviour Maximiles used merchant products as prizes and a selection of exclusive voucher codes in
a fun and engaging game.
• Email – From approximately 1.8 million emails sent throughout the campaign the average open rates were 38% with a click
through rate of 22%, way above industry averages.
• Web stats and member engagement – during the period of the campaign site visits increased 120% and frequency of
member visits increased by 85%.
• Merchant results – 80% of sponsors involved saw an increase of traffic to their site from Maximiles of approximately 30%.
The increase in transactions varied from between 18% and 65%.