Earlier this year, began a new project – Paper Bag Chinese. Teachers contacted me regarding materials for the adolescent years and highly motivating.
Emotions, how we feel about input..can negatively affect learning.. Bored…lack of meaning,……anxiety… All these things function as a filter… and reduce the amount of language students are able to understand/… Actually prevent the processing of the language input.
I gave the question and watched… They looked for my help…I repeated the question. They came up with all kinds of sentences… At the end of the session, I asked them to teach the rest of the class the words, phrases they learnt.
I was skeptical… I used this method with my 16 students…ranging from 5 t0 12. We were doing a theme – Let’s find a restaurant…and learning names of food etc.,
How to use games in the Chinese classroom
Welcome to Games in the Chinese language classroom Chinese Teachers Connect session http://www.creativechinese.com/module-1-burgers-of-chinese-food/
Skype presentations - Click the Conferences TAB
Games are good for.. <ul><li>Reviewing new vocabulary </li></ul><ul><li>Rehearsing sentence structures </li></ul><ul><li>Revising Grammar </li></ul>
Games are effective for... <ul><li>High School </li></ul><ul><li>Elementary </li></ul><ul><li>Adults </li></ul>
Provide scaffolding for Games <ul><li>Charts </li></ul><ul><li>Print-outs </li></ul><ul><li>Vocabulary sheets </li></ul>ENGLISH only! Drinks Greetings Body Likes Questions Dislikes Animals Hobbies Shopping Time Sports Feelings
3. Touch and Go Game 1. Print out flashcards and then position them on the board. 2. Have 2 teams of about 4 students. 3. Each team moves along by saying the word/phrase and then when they reach the other team they do rock, paper scissors to see who keeps going. 4. If they lose, they go to the back of their line and the next team member starts.
Touch and Go Game http://www.creativechinese.com/2011/12/02/touch-and-go-game/
4. Pass the chicken 1. Students pass the chicken around the class. 2. I play the ‘chicken dance’ music. 3. When the music stops I say a category: Food Transport Countries Colors School 4. Whoever has the chicken must come up with as many Chinese words as possible using the team’s help. The team gets a point for each correct Chinese word. 5. After 30 seconds the team will call out their words and receive points. 6. Other teams who have more words may earn points as well.
Game Templates <ul><li>http://teach.fcps.net/trt10/PowerPoint.htm </li></ul>
6. Quick Draw McGraw Rules 1. Students are placed in Teams. 2. One representative from each team is given a marker and stands at the front of the class. 3. Each student turns their back to the whiteboard, while the teacher writes a sentence. 4. Class and Teacher say: 一二三 Quick Draw McGraw. 5. The 2 students turn and look at the sentence. 6. Each student attempts to translate the sentence on the whiteboard and then returns the marker back to the front desk. 7. The first student to return the marker AND whose translation is correct, earns points for their team.
7. Fluffy ball Rules 1. Teacher passes ball to students and ask questions: 你叫什么名字？ 你几岁？ 2. When students answer correctly, they receive points for their team. Variation: When reviewing topics - food, pass the ball to one student and they will say a food in Chinese. The student then passes it to another student who also says a food in Chinese. Continue until someone says ‘pass’. (lose a point)
8. Mini-Whiteboard Games Vocab. Race 10 Questions One student draws a picture of new vocabulary. The other student asks questions: 是苹果吗？ 是香蕉吗？ 是小的吗？ Character Mix-up The teacher calls out a topic. For example parts of the body. Students will have 1 minute to write as many Chinese words (parts of the body) as they can. With a partner One student is given Chinese character cards. Without showing the partner, the student must describe how to write it.
9. Trash ball Rules 1. One representative from each team stands up. 2. The teacher says a sentence in Chinese. 3. The first student to translate the sentence gets to throw a paper ball into the trash can. 4. New representatives stand.
10. Soccer Rules 1. Goal - the first team to get a soccer goal. 2. Teams take turns in answering questions in Chinese. 3. Correct question - move to next x. Incorrect question - move back an x. This game can be played on a chalkboard or board game.
12. Celebrity Guesses 1. Print celebrity photos. 2. Divide students into 4 teams. 3. Each representative of a team may ask one question in Chinese.
13. Change the Channel Game 1. The teacher will decide on the first category. For example: school. Students pass the remote to each other. 2. The teacher says “Change the channel”. 3. The student holding the remote must say a Chinese word related to the category - school. 4. That student then says a category for example - transport and passes the remote around.
Categories Me Food Drinks Greetings Family Friends Body Likes Transport Countries Questions Dislikes Colors Pets Animals Hobbies School Weather Shopping Time Clothes Money Sports Feelings
<ul><li>Have a set of cards with lots of nouns on them. </li></ul><ul><li>One student reads out the noun, and the other team must come up with a question. </li></ul><ul><li>Encourages ‘backward thinking’. </li></ul>1. What’s the question Game? Nǐ xǐhuan shénme dòngwù? Nǐ cóng nǎ'er lái?
16. Google Races RULES 1. Divide your students into groups of 4. 2. Each group will have one laptop. 3. The teacher will call out a scenario / question. 4. Students need to use Google Translate to find the correct answer. 5. The first group who can say the sentence/question in Chinese earns 5 points for their team. (The whole team must be able to say it in Chinese)
Question <ul><li>You’ve found a great restaurant in 北京 . </li></ul><ul><li>What words and phrases will you need to order food and drink? </li></ul>
Color Hóng red Hēi black Jīn golden Body parts Yǎnjīng eyes Tóufǎ hair Ěrduo ear Bízi nose Zuǐba mouth Descriptions Dà big Xiǎo small Other Yǎnjìng glasses Màozi hat Húzi beard Zhǎng long Duǎn short Hěn very