Common Biomedical Waste
Treatment Facility –Process of
Dr.Sharad H. Gajuryal
• Common Biomedical Waste Treatment Facility of AIIMS
Hospital, BIOTIC WASTE SOLUTION is located at
• Biotic Waste Solutions, is a common bio medical waste
treatment facility (CBWTF) ,authorized by Delhi Pollution
Control Committee (DPCC) for collection, transportation,
treatment and disposal of bio medical waste.
• Caters around 700 Hospitals (around 7000 Beds)
• Other CBWTF-SMS water Grace(Nilothi) / Synergy CBWTF
Necessity of CBWTF?
• For Smaller HCE – not feasible due to lack of
space and trained manpower /Minimum scale
operation and minimum scale of economy.
• For Large HCE- Located in congested and
densely populated area cannot have such
units due to environmental constrains.
• Manpower : 80 staffs
• Manpower Involved for AIIMS =40
• Plant Staffs =25
• No. of Vehicles -13,
• Vehicles involved for AIIMS=3
• General Waste (Black Bag) are collected
behind OPD and transported to Dumping site
• Biomedical wastes with blue and yellow color
coding are collected from different centers at
storage point of Main AIIMS.
• Collected by Biotech Vehicles and Transported to
Biotech solution for further treatment of Waste.-
3 different timing
BIOTIC SOLUTION PVT LTD
• Amount of waste collected in 1 day – 5000 Kg
• Amount of waste (yellow bag ) – 3700-3800 Kg
• Amount of Waste in Blue/Red Bag -1200 Kg
(For Autoclaving & Shredding)
Treatment Facility at Biotech Solution
A. 2 Double Chambered Incinerator
Working Time – 12 hrs /day ( 8 PM-8 AM)
B. 1 Autoclave
C. 1 Shredding Machine
• Other Facilities :
• Office Area
• Storage area for Different color coded Bags
• Ash Collection Area
• Water Treatment Area (ETP)
• Storage Site : Separate Storage sites for yellow
bag and Separate Storage site for Blue & Red
Incinerator at BIOTECH Solution
2 Incinerators GW200/250 Alpha Thermo CID –
Both Oil Fired
Capacity -250 kg/hr and 200kg/hr Respectively
• Incineration is a high temperature thermal
process employing combustion of waste under
controlled condition for converting them into
inert material and gas.
• Incineration reduce the solid mass of the
original waste by 80–85%.
• 3 types –Oil Fired, Gas Fired, Electrical Design
Consists of 3 section
1. Converging Section
2. Throat Section &
3. Diverging Section
• Gases/Fumes (Flue Gases) are passed through
secondary chamber to Venturi .
• First Enters through Converging Section .
• As the area decrease, velocity of gas increases.
• Pure Water is introduced into throat section
which mix with the flue gases in throat section.
Cyclonic effect occurs at diverging section (venturi
scrubber) where acidic particles and particulates
pollutants are scrubbed resulting in production of
enormous no . of tiny droplets and gases.
ETP (Effluent Treatment Plant)
• Water collected after treatment of waste are
stored in 5000 liter tank which is then drained
to ETP tank near incinerators through motor
• After being treated in ETP tank ,solid particle
settling at base of tank are carried to land fill
• Water drained to sewage.
• Autoclaves use pressurized steam to destroy
microorganisms, and are the most dependable
systems available for the decontamination of
waste and the sterilization of equipment and
supplies under maintained temperature and
Auto clave at BIOTIC solution
1 Autoclave machine ,adjoined with boiler,with
capacity of 200 kg/load
• Blue and red colored waste bags are allowed
to treat in autoclave machine.
• Standard temperature -121 *C
• 15 PSI pressure
• For 1 hour
• Plastic containers from Blue bags are
removed soon after autoclaving and are
• The crushed material are kept between the
gap of cement and concrete and again filled by
cement and concrete to make bricks.