Teacher: Leung Sze Lok, Shandi Date: 7th January, 2011 (Friday)
LESSON PLAN(ITCE Requirement II-BIT assessment 1.)
Lesson Duration: 60 minutes
Class: CMI Secondary school Form 5 students
Previous Knowledge (Students have learnt):
1. Basic grammar structure taught in F.1-F.3
2. Basic comprehension skills
By the end of the lesson, students should be able to:
1. Understand the difference between skimming and scanning
2. To be able to use skimming and scanning strategies when doing comprehension.
1. Reading (Skimming and scanning).
2. Vocabulary e.g. pulp, friction, synthetic fibres, logging, proponents.
3. Language expression: despite the fact that.
Computer, PowerPoint slides, reading passage, worksheet.
Time Allocation Teaching Steps Purpose
Pre-Reading Key points of the lesson.
To prepare ss for the
10mins 1. T introduces skimming and scanning by ppt reading exercises.
8mins 2. T. explains difficult vocabulary by ppt To prepare ss for
2mins 3. Show video of skimming & scanning from Catching ss’ attention by
youtube: showing a video..
10 mins 1. T. asks ss to skim through the passage Let ss to get an overall
idea of the passage
10mins 2. T. asks ss to finish Let ss practice scanning.
Work Sheet 1: scanning.
10mins 3. T. asks ss to finish Let ss practice skimming.
Work Sheet 2:skimming
10 min Post-Reading T. recapitulates the main
idea that ss have learnt in
1.T. rounds up the lesson by repeating the main
ideas, vocabulary and phrase being taught in
the lesson. Give ss real practice of
skimming & scanning at
2.T. assign ss to finish assignment at home: home.
a. Finished online reading task at
b. Share your opinions on e-platform.