What is Wimax?
Worldwide Interoperability for Microwave
Wimax in simple terms is wireless broadband
Allows communications over long distances,
covers approximately 50 km.
Operates on frequencies between 2-66GHz
Transfer rate of 70mbps.
“Wimax is actually not a technology,but
rather a certification mark,or ‘stamp of
approval’given to equipment that meets
certain confirmity and interoperability tests
for the IEE802.16 family of standards”.
• It is a non-profit industry body dedicated to promote
the adoption of wimax.
• It ensures that different vendors’ products will
“WiMAX Forum Certified™ means a service provider
can buy equipment from more than one company and
be confident that everything works together”
History of Wimax
• February 1997
AT&T announces development of fixed
wireless technology code named
• March 2000
AT&T launches first commercial
high-speed fixed wireless service after
years of trial.
• June 2001
WiMAX Forum established.
• January 2003
IEEE 802.16a standard completed.
• September 2004
Intel begins shipping the first WiMAX chipset, called
• January 2006
First WiMAX Forum–certified product announced for
• WiMAX are entering the Telco world with high pace and
• Currently more than 350 member companies and more
are joining wimax forum.
Working of WiMax
Wi-Max works similar to Wi-Fi
– Use radio signal to send data from one computer to another
– Offers higher speed
• WiFi provides 54 Megabits per second
• WiMax provides up to 70 megabits per second
– Covers long distance
• WiFi range 100 feet.
• WiMax range 50 Km
– More number of users
– Availability of internet at remote areas
Supports two type of connections
– Frequency Division Duplexing(FDD)
– Time Division Duplexing(TDD)
Parts of WiMax
• WiMax system consist of two parts
• Wi-Max tower is used to transmit data and can cover
up to 3000 square miles
– Increased range is due to frequency and power
– Weather and large buildings can effect coverage
• Receiver could be a small box or build into a laptop
• Encrypted data keys to prevent unauthorized users
from stealing access.
Two types of transmit/receive
– Device on our computer connects to the tower.
– Uses low frequency range 2 GHz – 11 GHz.
– Operates at higher frequency (66 GHz).
– Data is sent from pole to pole using a
– It is strong , stable and without errors
Do you know?
“Pakistan has the biggest wimax
• Abu-Dubai group of companies.
• Mobilink infinity
• Orascom Telecom
• Joint venture by Qtel and ATCO
• Launched in 2006.
• Started operation in early 2008.
• Using IEEE 802.16 ‘e’ based Motowi4
• Motorola based Hardware.
• Wateen holds a licence for 20MHz of
spectrum in the 3.5GHz.
• Second Wi-Max provider in Pakistan.
• Launched service in Karachi early this
• Motorola based hardware.
• Purchased Dancom’s network.
• Spreading the network across the
Additional data rate will be RS. 30 per 100 MB
Some upfront cost like CPE, security etc.
• Leading Wimax providers in Asia and
• Joint venture by Qtel and ATCO .
• Purchased Burraq telecom.
• Starting its operation in 2009(Pakistan).
• Hiring heavily for their operation in
Benefits of WiMax
• Long Range
The most significant benefit is its range which is 5 miles (NLOS) 30
miles (LOS) which can cover up to 3000 sq miles (enough to blanket an
• Cost Effective
WiMax is an high speed broad band, so no longer have to rip up
buildings or streets to lay down expensive cables
It can provide 70Mb/s enough bandwidth which can support more than
60 businessess at once. Also supports thousand homes at DSL speed
Benefits of Wimax
• Quick Deployment
As no wires need to be laid Wi-Max can be easily deployed.
It provide two wireless services
Operates at 2 to 11 GHz reverse compatible with existing Wi-Fi
Can go as high as 66 GHz since signal is more stable and strong
which leads to greater bandwidth.
Problems of WiMax
Companies are hesitant to use Wi-Max base station it has not reach
to widespread use yet.
• Research and development
In order for Wi-Max to succeed New products must be researched &
developed to incorporate Wi-Max.
Other wireless electronics can interfere with Wi-Max connection and
some time cause reduction in data throughput
Future of WiMax
• Future looks bright in remote areas and specially in
• The biggest market of Wi-Max is in China. Chinese
government making Wi-Max as a national standard for
fixed broadband wireless access at 3.5GHz.
• Wi-Max will become the dominant technology for wireless
networking within next 5 years, by 2009 industry anlayst
project that WiMax market worth between 3 to 5 billion$
Future of WiMax
• Intel produce chips embedded with Wi-Max technology
and they also stated to introduce Centrino laptop
processors in next 1or 2 years.
• In Pakistan, Wateen telecom has announced WiMax
(fixed wireless service) covering more than 17 major
cities of Pakistan.
In short, Wi-Max opens the doors to numerous services
and All developing countries could take advantage of this
efficient, cost effective technology.