In this presentation we tried to discuss about thrombosis,how it occurs,causes of thrombosis,classification of thrombosis,It's natural history, how to prevent thrombosis & what to do if thrombosis already occurred.
• How it occurs.
• Causes of thrombosis.
• Classification of thrombosis.
• Natural history.
• Formation of blood clot inside blood vessel.
• Obstructing blood flow through the circulatory system.
• Cause serious complications to brain/lungs.
How it occurs
• Two components :
Aggregated platelets form platelet plug
Mesh of cross-linked fibrin protein
When body produce excessive clotting factors like platelets and
Fibrin, it forms an embolus that moves around the blood stream
and obstruct the flow of blood.
Causes of Thrombosis
• Virchow's triad. 3 Reasons :
• Hypercoagulability :
By genetic deficiencies/autoimmune disorders.
• Endothelial injury :
Injury to the vessel's wall such as trauma, surgery, infection.
• Stasis of blood flow.
If thrombus forms inside blood vessel, then possible
• Everyday Living :
– Exercise regularly
– Eating a low-fat, high-fiber diet
– Check Bp once a year.
– Drink plenty of fluids, but avoid coffee & alcohol.
• After Surgery :
– Anticoagulants (Heparin, Warfarin)
• When Traveling
– Stretch legs.
– Flex feet.
– Press toes down.
• Warfarin and Vitamin K antagonists can be taken orally.
• For more effectiveness heparin can be given by IV injection.
• Streptokinase can be administered IV.
• Ultrasound-accelerated thrombolysis can also be used.
• http://www.news-medical.net/health/What-is-Thrombosis.aspx (accessed on 01-11-16)
symptoms-of-thrombosis/ (accessed on 01-11-16)
• https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrombosis (accessed on 01-11-16)
• http://www.webmd.com/dvt/deep-vein-thrombosis-prevent-dvt (accessed on 01-11-16)
disorders/treatment-of-thrombosis/ (accessed on 01-11-16)
• http://www.news-medical.net/health/Thrombosis-Prevention.aspx (accessed on 01-11-16)