Our group needs to find different collaboration tools from
separate categories that will help facilitate communication
between the six of us, each tool performing different
None of us have ever met and a few of us live at least twenty
miles away. We don’t know what technology each of us
possesses or what each others technological competence
Therefore we need:
Something easy to use
WHAT WE NEED:
• Also called Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)
• A real-time feed to communicate over the internet using video
• Examples: Skype, Oovoo, Google
Hangout, Viber, Grasshopper, Tinychat
• In America, out of the 80% of internet users, 30% said they
have used an internet calling service
• It’s free, to use voice chat and voice
calls between users of skype on a
Skype enabled devices. Whenever and
wherever, you can talk to your family
and friends through wireless network
• Video chat. Skype is the first company
to bring video chat to the masses.
Group chat of 25 people is possible at
the same time.
• Low cost features. Skype uses user
names instead of phone numbers.
However, low cost service allows you to
have a phone number that people can
call you on, and call out you to actual
• It’s not really free. You need a
computer or smartphone that can
run Skype software. Also, you need
to own a headset and a web cam
for video chat.
• Video chat quality. Skype has
competitors that offer a much
higher resolution and frame-rate
for free using the exact same
• Some people argue that skype can
be easily hacked by others and
criminals. Needed stronger
What is Skype?
• Free collaboration tool that enables people to communicate with each other
from any part of the world.
• Facebook is the world’s most used Social Media Network
• Over a billion worldwide users
• Facebook is a way for people to communicate quickly and efficiently
• Facebook has chat and messaging features
• Facebook allows users to connect and share with friends
What is Facebook?
• Facebook is a quick way of
• Facebook allows people to create and
• People can plan a meeting and
invite people to the meetings
using the event feature
• Easy to use!
• Setting up a profile is fast and
• Facebook is convinient
• Allows people to communicate
without having to meet up in
• Facebook has notifications
• Privacy issues
• If privacy settings are not set
up correctly, random people
could see your profile
• People can steal your ideas
• Fast Moving Stream
• If your group is constantly
active, you could miss post
because Facebook is
constantly updating the new
posts and gets rid of older
• Can not see people face to face
• This could make it difficult to
Electronic mail, most commonly referred to as email since
1993, is a method of exchanging digital messages from an
author to one or more recipients. Modern email operates
across the Internet or other computer network.
What is E-mail?
• Compared with delivery of hand-written
letter, email is extremely fast. The
recipients can receive it as soon as you
send it out.
• Email is inexpensive. We do not need to
pay for the stamps and letters.
• It is convenient to use email. We can
send and receive email at any place.
• If we want to send email, we need to
grasp some basic knowledge about
• We need to form the habit of checking
email regularly; otherwise, we will not
be able to read the emails and give
• We should have access to computer
and Internet connection. When we are
in the mountain which does not have
signals, we couldn’t send emails.
What is Twiddla?
Twiddla is an online workspace that supports multiple users
and allows them to work on documents simultaneously. In the
free version users can log on as guests and collaborate. The
user has a whiteboard-like interface and can take screen shots
and hold voice conferences.
• Twiddla is free for anyone who wants to
logon and start holding meetings.
• Easy to use, no need for browser
plugins. Just need an internet
connection and a computer and you’re
• Has the ability of multiple users being
allowed to edit documents in real-time.
Users can upload
photos, videos, spreadsheet
• Technically Twiddla is free, but
users miss out on quite a few
features if they don’t agree to
pay a monthly fee. In the free
version users cant create
account or store files on the
• Does not have the ability to work
on mobile platforms, specifically
tablets. Users would need to own
a laptop to do work on the go.
• Users have complained of
interrupted connections and files
being lost due to the inability to
create accounts and store files.
What is Google Drive?
Google Drive is an online file storage option that is free of
charge and cross platform. Google products work
harmoniously with user’s tablets, computers, and
smartphones. Users also have the ability to work and
collaborate on documents in real-time.
• Google drive is free of charge and very
user friendly. Workgroups can have a
joint account that users
upload, download, and edit documents
• Google Drive is cross platform in a
unique way. Users can download the
app on their smartphones and
tablets, and even install a folder on
their computers that automatically
upload any changes made to files
• Has similar features to Twiddla where
users can work collaboratively on
multiple documents at once
• The documents feature on
Google Drive is not nearly
as sophisticated as many
of the Microsoft Office files
opened in it.
• Need a reliable internet
connection to use any of
Googles’ real-time features.
• Cannot password protect
certain files from users on
a workgroup account