Name&Surname : Umoh Udeme EPHRAIM / Serdar SÖNMEZ
Project Name : Domestic Violence
University : Cyprus International University
Number : 20101164 / 20110197
What is Domestic Violence?
• D.V is an abuse or pattern of bad behaviour in
any relationship that is used to gain or
maintain power and control over the target
• Target people which are generally
women, children and intimate person.
Domestic Violence can
happen to anyone due
• The history of domestic violence is traced back to 753 B.C during
the reign of Romulus in Rome.
• Wife beating was accepted and condoled under the laws of
• These laws permitted the man to beat his wife with rod or switch.
This was the origin of the phase ’’Rule of thumb’’.
• This study looked at several types of domestic violence such as
forced sexual initiation, sexual assault of children, human
trafficking, forced prostitution.
• This movements also invoking battered wives who pressured policy
makers and the criminal justice system till to our age.
• Main aim is the revise sanctions and procedures.
Why Do Research On
•To raise awareness
about domestic violence
and to make target
people to avoid it.
•To collect datas to build democratic management
system in the country about human rights.
•Observe the statistics of target groups currently
under the influence of domestic violence.
Data Collection Process
•We conduct an interview with
• The main aim was to get concrete
information about the topic.
•We try to observe people really aware of this
•Participants persistently defend the increasing
battered women shelter and raise the awareness
of domestic violence topic in society.
•Also benefit from internet,article and statistics.
Forms of Domestic Violence
• Physical abuse
• Sexual Abuse
• Emotional Abuse
• Financial Abuse
• Physical violence is the threat of harmful and
any forceful physical behaviour.
• That causes bodily harm or destruction.
• Examples of physical abuse;
hitting, beating, choking..
• Punching walls or doors.
• Also we can say preventing the
partner leaving from home.
• A Statistic:%95 of batterers are
men in the world.
• Sexual abuse is any forced to sexual act or
behaviour motivated to acquire power and
control over the partner.
• It is not only sexual contact but also contact
that humilitates the partner.
• Example of sexual abuse;unwanted touching,
• Every two minutes,someone in
the U.S sexually assaulted.
• Emotional abuse is any use of words, voice,
action,hurt or humilitate to another person.
• Behavioral indicators ;verbal threats,name
calling and use of abusive language.
• Manipulating the partner with words,ideas,
and anti-social behaviour,
lack of self-confidence.
• Financial abuse is the use or misuse of
monetary and financial resources without
partner’s freely consent in the partnership.
• It can be forbiding to partner to work.
• Controlling shared resources including bank
accounts and common property.
• Jeopardizing the partner’s employment such
as tactics as excessive call to work,generating
conflict with co-workers etc.
Sample of Bad Behaviour Patterns
This behaviours cause a conflict with people;
• Your partner can try to isolate you from family or
• Your partner can follow you,where you go,who
you spend time with,who you call.
• Partner does not trust you and acts jealous or
• Accuse the partner of being racist.
• Use your spiritual beliefs to manipulate
you.Trying to prevent you from practicing your
Hypothesis’ for Solution
• We need to improve the status of women and
education level within the society.
• Giving and teaching professional guidance and
• Our aim should be change the perception and
point of view to children,women and intimate
• We need to teach to people talk each other
After collecting and analysing the datas,we found
• Domestic victims are intimate
partners, relatives,individuals that have child and
women in common.
• Women who are 18 and less than 60 are more
• Women and children are vulnerable because of
men are dominant and generally they are earning
money for living so it cause stressful situation.
• Nowadays women found a way to cope with
beating.They tend to go to school because men
take advantage from incomplete education.
• Also we found that literacy rate is the major
• Education does not have mean earning
income.However women tend to fight back to
cope with domestic violence,acquire education
• Domestic violence cause kinds of diseases;
depression,death, dehydration, drug and alchol
dependence,dissociative states, panic attack
• %95 of batterers are men.
• %93 of victims are women,%2 of victims are child in
• Every 9 seconds in the U.S a women is assulted or
• %25 to %45 of battered women are battered during the
• Women ages 20 to 24 are at greatest risk of becoming
victims of domestic violence.
• Every year more than 3 million children witness of
domestic violence in their homes.
• Children who exposed to domestic violence,they tend
to being illness,health problems.
After accomplish to doing our hypothesis’ and
solutions, We can expect the following states;
• Ensure the integrity of body and soul.
• Gain the psychological healthier children,
women and people to society.
• Decrease mental and psychological diseases of
• We can build healthier and happier family
• This research is about the violence that exists
between the victims and offenders.
• Can be physical assault, verbal threats and
financial problems etc.
• This research proposal highlights the recent
literature associated with domestic violence and
the most recent statistics available.
• It discusses the data collection and analyses.
• The methodology includes quantitative and
• Datas were collected from volunteers and
technnological instruments etc.
1. Examples of Abuse-
2. Statistics - http://www.rainn.org/statistics
3. Emotional Abuse -
4. Domestic Violence - http://www.docstoc.com/docs/71460522/Warning-signs-of-
5. Statistics - http://domesticviolencestatistics.org/domestic-violence-statistics/
6. Statistics - http://www.safehorizon.org/index/what-we-do-2/domestic-violence--
7. Statistics - http://dvrc-or.org/domestic/violence/resources/C61/
8. Forms of Violence -http://gmdvp.org/domestic-violence/types-domestic-abuse/
9. General ınformation - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_violence#History
10. Statistics in Turkey - http://aileicisiddeteson.com/aile-ici-siddete-son-istatistikleri/