Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.



Published on

  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this


  1. 1. Time for a Quiz !!! How well do you know your immigration regulations???
  2. 2. U.S.C.I.S. <ul><li>U nited S tates C itizenship and </li></ul><ul><li>I mmigration S ervices </li></ul>
  3. 3. US Arrival and Departure Record Always make sure your I-94 Card is marked &quot;F-1&quot; and &quot;D/S&quot;.
  4. 4. How Many Credits is Full Time? <ul><li>Students MUST keep full time course study: </li></ul><ul><li>13.5 credit hours for undergraduate per term </li></ul><ul><li>9 credit hours for graduate per term </li></ul><ul><li>Students must study full time for the academic year, September - May. </li></ul><ul><li>If circumstances prevent you from being full time, you must request authorization from the International Student Advisor before the beginning of the term. </li></ul>
  5. 5. When Students Can Take a Term Off: Summer term is your term off. During the summer (June – August), students are not required to study full time. You may take a break from studying and remain in the US only during the summer term. If you need to leave the US for a temporary period of time during the academic year, you must consult with your International Student Advisor before you leave in order to determine when it is ok to return to the US .
  6. 6. Before Leaving the US: <ul><li>Before Traveling abroad, students should: </li></ul><ul><li>Have I-20 signed by an international advisor </li></ul><ul><li>Use the signed I-20 issued by JWU to travel </li></ul><ul><li>Have valid Visa, Status Letter & Bank Statement </li></ul>Students who need to apply for a new F-1 visa should also obtain current bank statement and check ahead to find out visa processing time at the U.S. Embassy/Consulate in your country.
  7. 7. Documents that Must Remain VALID <ul><li>… always make sure to keep all of your official documents… </li></ul><ul><li>Passport </li></ul><ul><li>I-20 </li></ul><ul><li>F-1 Student Visa </li></ul><ul><li>(only if you are traveling) </li></ul>VALID
  8. 8. How to Extend an I-20 <ul><li>Student should bring bank statement to International Student Advisor 30 days before expiration date of I-20 and request a program extension </li></ul><ul><li>Student must have a valid academic reason for not completing the degree within the time period given on the I-20 </li></ul><ul><li>The I-20 Extension *MUST* be processed BEFORE the current I-20 expires </li></ul>
  9. 9. How to Renew a Passport <ul><li>You can renew your passport by contacting your country’s embassy in the United States. </li></ul><ul><li>You must renew your passport before it expires. </li></ul>
  10. 10. How to Renew a Visa <ul><li>You can not renew your visa from inside the United States. We recommend that you return to your country of citizenship to renew your visa. </li></ul><ul><li>You do not need to renew your F-1 or J-1 visa if it expires while you are inside of the United States, but you must renew it to re-enter the United States if you leave after it expires. </li></ul><ul><li>Please visit your International Student Advisor to discuss the process of renewing your visa before you leave the United States. </li></ul>
  11. 11. How to Change Your Major <ul><li>Meet with academic counselor in Student Academic Services </li></ul><ul><li>Request a new I-20 from your International Student Advisor to show new major </li></ul>
  12. 12. How to Report a Change of Address <ul><li>Students must report a change of address within 10 days. </li></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>Complete an AR-11 Form (for the government) </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>Update your personal info on JWU Link (for the university) </li></ul></ul></ul>The Change of Address can be done in the Friedman Center and Rolo Building
  13. 13. Where Can Students Look for an On-Campus Job??? <ul><li>On-Campus Job Openings are posted in the Student Employment Office . This is located in Wales Hall, 1 st floor (Downcity Campus) </li></ul>
  14. 14. How Many Hours Can a Student Work on Campus??? <ul><li>F-1 Students Can Work … </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Part time (20 hours per week while school is in session) </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>On-Campus positions include: </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>Academic Departments </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>Cafeterias </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>Residence Halls </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>Bookstore </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>JWU Radisson Hotel or Johnson & Wales Inn </li></ul></ul></ul>
  15. 15. U.S. Immigration Regulations <ul><li>Watch for announcements, news from your International Office in Emails , Campus Newspaper, Flyers … </li></ul><ul><li>CHECK your JWU Email account frequently as this is our primary means of communicating with you! </li></ul>… and Students Must KNOW! MAIN MESSAGE: Come in and ask questions – we are here to help you!