Corporate Counsel: How To Use Social Media To Find Jobs
What You Need To Know To Find
presented by seOverflow
Who Is seOverflow?
• seOverflow is a search engine optimization,
pay per click, and social media marketing
company in Denver, CO.
• We specialize in offering solutions that enable
web design companies, marketing
consultants, and other solution providers to
offer high end SEO and social media services
to their clients.
• We are a Google Adwords Qualified
Company, Yahoo Search Marketing
Ambassadors, and SEMPO members.
What is Social Media?
• A conversation powered by Social Media
Applications such as blogs, Twitter, LinkedIn,
Facebook, YouTube, Flickr, etc. between
potential clients, employees, colleagues-
• People use their social media networks to find
resources, chat about current life events, and
• Social Media is now more popular than email.
• Think networking event except online and
Why Should You Use Social Media?
• Develop job leads and referral sources on
• Monitor and control reputation online
• Research companies you may want to
• Monitor new job postings up to the minute
• Learn about Social Media so you have a
leg up on competition for jobs where
creating a company SM policy is a priority
3 Key Social Media Applications:
What is Twitter and How Can I
Use it to Find a Job?
What Is Twitter?
• A micro blogging platform
• An open, public, global instant
• Short format messages lead to quick
information sharing that provides relief from
rising email and IM fatigue
• A less gated method of communication: you
can share information with people that you
wouldn't normally exchange email or IM
Who Is Using Twitter
• # 2 most visited social media website
according to ComScore (online Neilsen
ratings) Jan 2009
• Trivia: Who is the most famous attorney
• Hundreds of other attorneys, some listed
How Do Attorney’s Use Twitter?
• Discover leads
• Answer questions
• Seek advice from legal community
• Drive traffic to blog posts
• Gain insight on human responses to polls
• Personal branding
• Relationship building
Monitoring Twitter For Leads
• Use monitoring tools like TweetBeep or Twilert
Twitter Time Requirements
• Set up: 10 minutes to twitter 1 hour for
misc add-on tools and applications
• Ongoing Maintenance: 15 minutes per
• Other misc time for finding tweeps to
• Add Twitter link to your website and
email signature, even business cards
What is Facebook?
• Facebook gives people the power to
share and makes the world more
open and connected
Millions of people use Facebook
everyday to keep up with friends,
upload an unlimited number of
photos, share links and videos, and
learn more about the people they
Interesting Facebook Facts
• Draws a higher percentage of it’s users
from the 45+ demographic than
• Australia recently allowed service of
court docs via Facebook
• Canadian judge checks computer of
disability claimant for time spent on
• 175+ million users, fastest growing
demographic is 30+
What Can You Do With Facebook?
• Create a ‘personal’ page
• Create a ‘business’ page
• Gain access to a large network of ‘friends’
• Publish your content to a large network
• Join and participate in groups
How To Get Started Marketing on
• Create your ‘personal’ page
• Build up your network by ‘friending’
• Join and participate in groups
• Update your status often (hint you can
tie Facebook and twitter together and
have twitter update your Facebook
Facebook Time Requirements
• Set up: 1 hour
• On-going participation: 15 minutes 2
times per week to participate in groups,
keep up with friends, update business
Put Social Media to Work and
Improve Your SEO
Other Law Social Networks
• Any Questions?
• Presentation will be available online