The Kolumba (previously "Diocesan Museum") is an art museum in Cologne, Germany.
The site was originally occupied by the romanesque Church of St. Columba, which was destroyed in World War II and replaced in 1950 by a Gottfried Böhm chapel nicknamed the "Madonna of the Ruins".
The new structure Zumthor built for the museum now shares its site with Gothic church and the 1950s chapel, wrapping a perforated grey brick façade.
Construction of the Kolumba began in 2003 and was completed in 2007.
The 21 1/4 inches long and 19/16 inches high bricks were handmade in the
region, a process which took over two years to complete.