Tolu Delano’s Science ProjectVertebrates and Invertebrates
Introduction• This project is about vertebrates and invertebrates from around the world.• A vertebrate is an animal with a backbone or a spine. For example, a lion.• An invertebrate is an animal without a backbone, like shrimp.• This project discusses mammals from Africa, reptiles from North America, fish from Europe, and birds from Australia.
Mammals from Africa1. Aardvark – Habitat : Aardvarks are found in all regions, from dry savanna to rain forest, where there are sufficient termites for food, access to water and sandy or clay soil. – Did you know that “aardvark” is Afrikaans for earth pig? Picture of an Aardvark
Structure Physical Characteristics FunctionsThe Aardvark’s tongue is The Aardvark is medium The tongue catches themade of tissues and sized. aardvark’s termites.muscles that stretch. It is pig like in appearance. The aardvark uses itsIt has strong claws on its It has some similarities and strong claws to also huntfront and hind leg made differences from the South for food.from a bone like structure. American anteater and is They use thier ears toThey also have ears with also known as poor sighted also hunt for termites.strong ear drums. animal. It has a sandy colored fur, pointy ears, and a long sticky tongue. It is also nocturnal, which means it only comes out in the dark.Reference: African Wildlife Foundation (http://www.awf.org/content/wildlife/detail/aardvark)
2. AardwolfHabitat : The aardwolf can be found in the open plains of eastern and southern Africa.These regions often contain little vegetation. The animal is often found close tohuman habitation and also in a number of Africas national parks, including Serengetiand Kruger.Did you know that “aardwolf” is Afrikaans for earth wolf and that aardwolves usesscent from its anal glands to mark out its territory? Structure Physical Function Characteristics The aardwolf has a The aardwolf is a The aardwolf uses strong eardrum so very small and shy it’s hearing skills to it can hear very animal with striped catch termites, also well. orange and black a food of the fur. It is pretty small aardvarks. compared to their relatives, the hyenas.
Picture of an AardwolfReference: aardwolf http://homepage.eircom.net/~criley/profiles/mammals/aardwolf.htm
Reptiles in North America1. Gila MonsterHabitat- Deserts and hot climate in North America like Mexico and Southwest U.S.ADid you know that when bitten by the ferocious Gila Monster you can be ejected bypoison? Structure Physical Function Characteristics The Gila The Gila The Gila monster monster’s teeth monster has uses the poison to are made with yellow, and its advantage by grooves that orange ejecting poison into store poison. blotches all the victim. over its body. It has a blunt tail and beady scales.
Picture of a Gila MonsterReference : National Geographic, Gila monsterhttp://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/reptiles/gila-monster/
2. Curly tailed lizardHabitat: Sunny places in Palm Beach, FloridaDid you know that curly tailed lizards specie name is oviparous? Structure Physical Function Characteristics Curly tailed lizards The curly tailed The lizards have have powerful lizard has a yellow their tail so they muscles in tan and small can attract the their tail. scales. female. They also have The claws help the curved boney lizard climb walls. claws
Picture of a Curly Tailed LizardReference: ARKive Curly tailed lizard ( http://www.arkive.org/curly-tailed-lizard/leiocephalus-psammodromus/#text=Biology)
Fishes In Europe1. European Sea bassHabitat: They are found in lagoons, rivers, and fresh waters all around Spain, Norway,and Brittan all in Europe.Did you know that this bass makes a good fish and chips? Structure Physical Function Characteristics It has vomerine, It has silvery skin and The fish can hold teeth that grasp the small, bumpy scales. the food easily. food. The fish has many It also is built with spines so it can many spines. maneuver properly. Reference: Wiki European sea bass (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_seabass)
2. Giant gobyHabitat: They are found under rocks in seas and ocean in South–West Britain in UK Structure Physical Function Characteristic The giant goby This giant fish is 25 The fish uses its has skin that is cm and has a olive color to its made with scales brown skin color. advantage to that match the camouflage floor. Reference: ARKive giant gobyhttp://www.arkive.org/giant-goby/gobius-cobitis/image-A2248
Birds in Australia1. The EmuHabitat: Any where in the deserts of Australia, except Tasmania. It lives in varioushabitats from semiarid plains to heathland, coastal dunes and tropical woodland. Structure Physical Function Characteristics The Emu’s legs have The Emu has sandy The Emu uses its strong strong muscles packed brown feathers, small legs to run very fast. inside of them. claws and, wings. The emu has a long It also has a long, long neck so they can reach neck. high places. http://www.gondwananet.com/australian-animals-birds-emu.html
2. The Fairy PenguinHabitat: They are found in the southern hemisphereDid you know that a synonym for “fairy penguin” is “little penguin”? Structure Physical Function Characteristics The Fairy penguin’s The fairy penguin, like The fairy penguin body is formed so it most penguins are uses this swimming can cut through white on their belly advantage for water. and blue on their hunting food. backs. But unlike normal penguins, these are very small. Reference : Unique Australian Animal http://australian-animals.net/peng.htm
Invertebrates• An invertebrate is an animal that does not have a backbone, also called a spine. You may think that invertebrates are smaller in number compared to vertebrates, animals with a backbone. That is not true. Invertebrates are larger in number.
2. Land Invertebrate: The house flyHabitat: They are found in warm places around the globe. Structure Physical Function Characteristics The house fly has an The house fly is small The compound eye takes type of eye called a insect with an a little information in compound eye, an eye exoskeleton. It has each lens. with thousands of small antenna and The house fly uses its light lenses on it. big eyes. wings it to carry its very The house fly also has small self. wings that are very small, the thickness of their exoskeleton. References: 1. Georgia HSP textbook 2. Wiki house fly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Housefly)
2. Sea Invertebrate: Caridea (a type of shrimp)Habitat: They are found in salt water seas.Did you know that a shrimp can live for about between 1 to 7 years? Structure Physical Function Characteristics They are made with They are a type of These creatures can exoskeletons and do shrimp with red and maneuver around not have a spine. white skin and have the sea. exoskeletons. Reference :Wiki Caridea http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caridea