• Cholera is not a
contagious disease: we
can’t “catch” cholera.
• Vibrio Cholerae is transmitted by:
Drinking contaminated water
Eating raw or undercooked foods
Where is cholera
• Cholera is most
common in low-
and in 3rd world
• Cholera is more
areas where a
What is the mortality
incidence of cholera?
• Untreated cases: Average- 50%
• Treated cases: Less than 1%
Vaccine for cholera
• There is a
cholera, but it
only gives you
25% to 50%
Oral rehydration salts
• Up to 80% of cases can be treated through
Intravenous fluids (Ringer lactate)
• For severe cases.
• can diminish duration of diarrhea, reduce
volume of rehydration fluids needed, and
shorten duration of V. cholerae excretion.
• Basic health education and hygiene
• Provision of safe water and sanitation
• The bacterium doesn’t like acid environment
“block with acidic water and acid food…