Thank you for showing interest in Pretend City Children's Museum's online Volunteer Orientation! All Volunteers are required to go through this online Orientation, successfully pass an online quiz (located at the end of the orientation), and, depending on which Volunteer Role you are interested in, complete an in-person Exhibit Training at Pretend City.
**NOTE for the Quiz: To access the quiz, please use the code from your introduction email. All participants must complete the Volunteer quiz with a score of at least 7 out of 10 in order to move on with the Volunteer process. Volunteers will only receive 3 chances to successfully complete the quiz. Those who do not pass the quiz, must email Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com and follow up.**
Once you complete the online Orientation and Quiz, please wait for the Volunteer Coordinator to respond with further registration instructions. Thank you and have fun!
Pretend City Children’s Museum
Volunteer Online Orientation
How to become a Pretend City
1. Submit online application
2. Complete online orientation
3. Depending on Volunteer Role,
attend an in-person training
4. Volunteer at least 3 hours per
Volunteer Program Requirements
Be at least 12 years of age to volunteer independently
10-11 year olds may volunteer with a parent or legal
Donate at least 3 hours per month to Pretend City
This online orientation is to help
introduce you to Pretend City
Children’s Museum’s Volunteer
Program. At the end of this
orientation, you will be able to:
• Understand Pretend City’s
mission, history and core values
• Understand the Volunteer
• Learn about the different types
of volunteer roles and
responsibilities available at
Before we walk into the details…
Let me show you what we’re all
What is Pretend City?
• We are a children’s
museum whose focus is
• While our main
demographic is 0-8
years of age, we
welcome all those who
want to play pretend
with their child
• Mission: Build Better
We’re not like other
• Our Museum is a miniature city for
children and their grown-ups.
• Our Vision is to ensure that each child is
ready for school success by providing the
ideal real-world learning experiences
needed by children to develop their
essential foundational learning skills.
A Little History…
• Founded by Alex Airth and
• Incorporated as a non-profit in
• August 30th 2009, Pretend City
Children’s Museum opened
• Goal: Serve as a community
resource that focuses on early
M u s e u m E x h i b i t E x p l o r a t i o n
We have 17 different interactive exhibits all throughout the city!
• Staff members are designated by different
• Pretendgineers: Green T-Shirts are our
stage staff who are assigned to specific
exhibit areas all throughout the museum.
Pretendgineers help facilitate play, assist
guests, and reset exhibit spaces.
• Brain Builders: Blue T-Shirts are Floor
Supervisors who help support the staff
and volunteers on the museum floor.
• Party Hosts: Yellow T-Shirts are staff
members who are in charge of special
events and birthday parties.
• Volunteers: Purple T-Shirts are worn by
Pretend City Children’s Museum’s
child development initiative
• Educates parents, caretakers,
and the community about the
importance of having children (0
to 5) receive regular
developmental check-ups as part
of their routine, well-child visits!
• Free Developmental
screenings (dental, vision,
BMI, & more)
• Memberships are of great value
and lets you take advantage of
important benefits, for example:
• Admission to the museum all
• Special Member’s Only Hour
everyday from 9:00-10:00am
• Special Members Only
• Discounts on classes,
birthday parties, and the
• Types of Memberships:
• Single: $75
• Dual: $150
• Family of 3: $220
• Family of 4: $245
From helping a child learn a life skill
through exhibit exploration, to supporting
staff with a birthday party, or assisting with
administrative tasks in the office,
volunteers make a valuable contribution to
help Pretend City reach our goal of
educating young children and the adults
who care for them!
• Exhibit Support
• Administrative Support
• Special Events
• Field Trip Explorer (18+)
• Grown Up N’ Me (10 & 11 year old +
• What we say and do are the
• For example: No cell phone
policy on the museum floor!
• While volunteering on stage, do
not use your phone (very
• Closed-toed shoes should be
worn when on stage
• If there is an emergency within
Pretend City while you are
volunteering, please exit the
building at the nearest
• DON’T BE SHY!
• We love new ideas!
• Got any talents or fun hobbies?
• Feel free to share!
• Our museum is built upon
positive interactions and
• You are a part of our team and
therefore we need to work
Remember to have fun while learning in a friendly and
Opportunities to explore a
variety of volunteer roles AND
volunteer in a friendly, open,
trusting, and creative
Receive support, training,
mentorship and guidance from
your Volunteer Coordinator and
Volunteer in a position that is
worthwhile and challenging, with
freedom to use existing skills and
develop new ones
Pretend City Children’s Museum volunteers are not required to report any
abuse or neglect, but should point out any suspicious behavior to a floor
supervisor (blue shirt) or staff (green shirt) immediately
• Purple Volunteer Shirt
• Sweater or long sleeve may be worn
underneath volunteer shirt
• Black pants, capris or Bermuda Shorts
• No torn/ripped/altered pants, no
sweatpants, leggings or yoga pants
• Bermuda shorts must be no shorter
than 2 inches above the knee
• Secure close-toed shoes
• No sandals, slippers, UGGs and
• No hats, beanies, etc.
There are benefits to volunteering! Volunteers
play a vital role in the museum’s success.
• Active Volunteers are eligible to receive:
• 10% off membership packages
• 20% off admission tickets
• 25% off any items from the mini-mall
Pretend City Hours:
• Pretend City is open:
• Tuesday-Saturday: 10:00am-5:00pm
• Sunday: 11:00am-5:00pm
• Monday: 10:00am-1:00pm
• Monday Special Events:
• Baby Steps: 2:00-3:30pm
• Austin Night: 5:00-8:00pm
• Tuesday-Saturday: 10:00am-5:30pm
• Sunday: 11:00am-5:30pm
• Monday: 10:00am-1:00*
• *Exceptions on special events
• Autism Night: 4:45-7:45pm
• Active Status: Volunteers who donate at
least 3 hours of their time per month
Who to contact?
Director of Human
949-428-3900 ext. 216
949-428-3900 ext. 217
Brain Builders (Staff in
• Mai Ha
• Hunter Tardiff
Quiz & Email:
• To complete this Orientation, participants must take
the Orientation Quiz (click).
• You will need to get a score of 75% or 7/10 points to
complete the Orientation.
• Once you submit your quiz, the Volunteer
Coordinator will grade each quiz and respond
appropriately within 2 business days.
Individuals who do not score at least 7 our of
10 points will be asked to retake the quiz.
Please wait for a response email BEFORE
retaking the quiz.
• You will receive an email from the Volunteer
Coordinator regarding the next steps to volunteering.
• Additional in-person training required for:
• Exhibit Support
• Field Trip Support
• Birthday Party/Special Event Volunteers
• Administrative Volunteers do not need