• IMAGINE IF:
• You could run Facebook, Instagram,
Twitter, YouTube, other apps ON YOUR
• IMAGINE IF:
• You could get Instagram updates on
Facebook or Twitter. That you could
connect them, publish from one to the
Welcome to the universe of
‘Federated Media’ or ‘The Fediverse’.
Live Demo Federated Media https://kumu.io/wakest/fediverse#known-network
Closed Source vs. Open Source:
Facebook = Diaspora, Friendica (and GNU Social, Pump.io, Hubzilla)
Twitter = Mastodon (popular!), Pleroma for short messages
Instagram = Pixabay
YouTube = PeerTube
SoundCloud = Funkwhale
The fun part: they cross connect!
Let’s back up a little bit:
• Short updates with pictures, text are called ‘microblogging’.
• Social media is basically
• 1. ‘microblogging’ with pictures, video, sound and
• 2. Connecting users.
• Open Source social media connects users ACROSS different services,
different sites in a way that business social media cannot.
• Because it is open source, you can choose any server.
Downside of Open Source Social Media
• Everyone’s on Facebook every day, all day, forever why don’t they
• Almost no phone apps!
• Sign-up is not in one place, you need to pick your server -- ‘instance’
There’s a lot! Let’s test it out.
(Cross server Connections)
You can leave one server and TAKE your posts with you. (New feature.)
Your posts are your creative content. I learned this “the hard way”
when I turned a Facebook Group into a web site. I paid to copy the
posts and format into a web site.