DBI World Conference 2019 - How technology and communication styles have improved my life
Workshop-how technology and
communication styles have
improved my life.
By- Clair Josling
A little about me
- Born with congitial CMV,
resulted in profound deafness,
left eye impairment, and mild
- At four and a half years old,
received a cochlear implant.
- Now 20 years old, in university
studying psychology and a minor
I would like this workshop to be
interactive but don’t feel you
have to participate. If you have
something to share please raise
This is a safe space, please treat each other with respect.
Who here has assistive technology at home?
- And what happened before that technology came into your life?
-Who here knows more than one
-What culture did it open your
My own communication styles history
- I grew up speaking English; for me is tricky
- Big misconception that deaf people cannot speak or speak well. I am
proof that it’s not true.
- Didn’t learn Auslan (Australian sign language) until I was in high
school, to which I taught myself the language. Unfortunately after I
left school, the school finally made Auslan as an elective language.
- Leadership program opened up the world of deaf-blind language.