• Desired outcome: Aid in the onboarding
process of new student temp hires. The
creation of a NU Student Temps handbook
will cover various rules, policies, and key
aspects of employment as a temporary
student employee at Northeastern.
• Project purpose: Support the new NU
Student Temps initiative by developing
guidelines for all new employees to
improve the effectiveness of the current
• NUST is in the industry of higher
• Established as a new department at
Northeastern in January 2020.
• Department consists of 3 employees.
• Found success in placing over 50
temporary student employees during
Office of Student
Hierarchy Key: Blue = Department Orange = Employees
Simplified Organization Hierarchy of NU Student Temps
Stakeholder & Situational Analysis
• NU’s Chancellor’s Office
• Student Financial Services
• NU Departments (Accounting, OGS, GRI, and
• NU Students (specifically international graduate
Strengths Weaknesses Opportunities Threats
agencies to using this
internal temp agency.
Some hiring managers
prefer external temp
agencies to use temps as
a “test drive.”
Sponsorship to retain
as F/T after graduation
• DePaul University in Chicago has a department called Student
Temporary Services (STS).
• STS also aims to place university students in temporary employment
roles in various departments on-campus.
• DePaul’s student employment website also highlights the benefits of
students gaining income and valuable experience while earning a
• The STS website offers resources and information which NUST can
incorporate in their website going forward.
Northwestern University has established a
temporary staffing service within their
human resources department.
There is a self-service portal that allows
hiring managers to post long and short-
term temporary positions to meet
“Whether it’s vacation coverage, a special project,
or interim assistance while you conduct a search
for a regular employee, a temporary employee can
be a valuable resource in helping you meet
The main difference between
Northwestern and Northeastern, is that
Northwestern also utilizes external temps
that are not student employees.
Hiring Manager Insights
• “The communication and turnaround of several qualified candidates made the
process effective and easy.”
• Concern: The fee attached to utilizing this service impacted the hourly wage the
accounting department was able to pay the employee.
• Key aspects to improve hiring: A confidentiality agreement, dress code (business
casual), and an understanding that new hires are being held to the same standard as
all other NU employees
• “The initial meeting was very beneficial because it allowed an opportunity to specify
candidate needs and understand the process.”
• Improvements: Reaching out to check in to see how things are going.
• Key aspects to improve hiring: Time sheet information, general etiquette, and asking
for feedback are several key concepts to incorporate going forward for NU Student
• Explore a trial: Continue to research other universities that have
implemented the same initiative of a temp agency utilizing students.
• Examine data available: Review material posted by DePaul University and
Northwestern. Resources found offer valuable insight and structure on
material that needs to be made available to students and clients.
Additionally, utilization of SHRM resources for analysis and handbook
• Benchmark like situations: Unfortunately, a handbook does not currently
exist which makes it essential to benchmark based on other organizations.
Determining the onboarding process used by other universities/temp
agencies in general is vital. Locating temp agency handbooks and
handbook templates for comparison will assist with development.
• Synthesis from scholarly and public resources: Information gathered
from sponsor, NU students, and NU hiring managers. SHRM resources and
content from relevant universities with temp agencies will blend to be
reflected in the handbook outcome.
• Improve the onboarding process to ensure NU Student Temp placements are prepared
to add value in their new role from day one.
• The most important recommendation is the implementation of a handbook that will be
concise and include the most important information.
• The Handbook should consist of the following:
• Intro: Purpose of handbook, Mission & Vision
• Hiring Process: I-9 & SSN Processes
• Payroll: Direct Deposit, Payment schedule, and Timesheets
• Rights & Policies: EEO, ADA, etc.
• Cultural training: Dress code, confidentiality, on the job etiquette
• Agreements: Professional, FERPA, and Confidentiality