Free TESOL Course Online - Starting Your Class Off Workshop
The Online ESL Mentoring Program: Starting Your
The Starting Your Class-Off Task Sheet is designed to help you to come up
with a high energy but scripted way to start off your classes. Remember
this is based on your teaching style. Once you do it a few times you
shouldn’t have to change it and later on, it will just become automatic.
Starting off your classes in a positive way sets the tone for your classes.
Call to Action for this workshop:
1. Make a list of things you need to start off your classes.
2. Write your script for starting off your classes.
3. Post a link to your video practicing starting off your classes in the
comment section under this video.
Tops 5 Things You Must Do To Start Off Your Classes
1. Smile a lot: Smile, smile, and smile some more. You must have a big
smile and show the student that you are excited to see him/her.
2. High Energy: This is so important because when the student sees
you’re excited about the class they get excited.
3. Props: I use two props to start off my classes. Remember when you
were a kid and how much you loved stuffed animals. Think about the
ones that make you have and buy them for your class.
4. Introduction: You need to create a standard introduction that you can
use for all your classes. Say the student's’ name or ask what is your
name? Also, ask how are you? On top of that make sure you tell the
student your name.
5. Secondary Reward System: Keep it simple.
Make a list of things you need to start off your classes:
Write your script for starting off your classes:
This workshop Starting Your Class Off is so important because it
sets the tone for the entire class. You should be using a high energy but in
a scripted way to start off your classes.
In each of these workshops, it is important to take action so you can teach
ESL online for the long-term. Taking action now will ensure you are ready
to teach ESL online from home.