How do people use search tools in
ebooks compared to print books?
PhD candidate (Information Studies)
Charles Sturt University
Setting the stage
Medieval Help Desk
• How do users find information in print books
compared to ebooks?
• Which search tools do users prefer to use in print
books compared to ebooks and why?
(Search tools include the table of contents, indexes, and full-
text search boxes.)
• Are the search tools that users prefer able to help
them find information successfully?
• There is a paradigm shift occurring as users
shift between print books and ebooks.
• This shift does not include all elements of a
print book (in particular, indexes).
• Theories of information behaviour can be
applied to the ebook environment.
• How do I define an ebook?
• Who will be my research participants?
• What is their purpose for reading?
• Use books that they are familiar with or not?
• What is a successful search?
• How to combine usability lab study with “real