IBM SmartCloud Entry for IBM Power IT admins are still busy? May 2012 - Mario Sebastiani
AgendaWe will talk about:● the old way to realize the LPAR● the new way to realize the LPAR● what do you need to turn into the new way
Objective of this session In the future the IT Admins can finally study...
The old way to realize the LPARThe old way takes:● a lot of timeand● many persons with different skillsThe storyYou are the IT admin for the IBM System P platform. Anuser asked you to realize quickly an LPAR (the easiestscenario)Lets start...
1. Create the profile on the HMCThe Power SysAdmin must create the profile1. requires admin access to HMC2. cannot complete the entire profile at this momentsince the lack of the LUN...
2. Create the LUN on the storageThe Power SysAdmin asks the Storage Admin to:1. realize a new LUN2. map the new LUN to the VIOs (an easy task, alreadydone thousand times in the past, but often the StorageAdmin asks, as in a loop, the Power SysAdmin for WWNs)Please note that the Storage Admin is a very busyperson, so you can wait hours or days before you getthe LUN.
3. Modify the VIO to manage new LUNThe Power SysAdmin now can change the VIOs config1. create a vSCSI server for the new LPAR2. verify the LUN visibility
4. Complete the profile on the HMCThe Power SysAdmin can now complete the profile1. add the right VIOs vSCSI adapters creating the vSCSIclient2. modify the VIOs profile to include the new adapters
5. Configure the NIMThe Power SysAdmin has now to configure the NIM1. create the new client2. instruct the NIM to perform OS installation
6. Wait the OS installationThe Power SysAdmin can now take a breath while the AIXis installing...
7. Perform the final checkThe OS was installed... and now the Power SysAdmin can:1. Configure the network2. Call the Net Admin because the LPAR is unreachable3. Perform the network troubleshooting4. Configure a temporary password5. Call the user6. Release the new LPAR
The old way in brief1. Create the profile on the HMC2. Create the LUN on the storage3. Modify the VIOs to manage the new LUN4. Complete the profile on the HMC5. Configure the NIM6. Wait the OS installation7. Perform the final check... and release the LPAR to the user
The new way to realize the LPARThe new way takes:● less timeand● less manual interventionThe storyYou are the IT admin for the IBM System P platform. Anuser asked you to realize quickly an LPAR (the easiestscenario)Lets start...
1. The user request the new LPARThe user connects to the WEB Portal and:1. Browse for available appliances2. Choose the right appliance and request a deploya mail will be automatically send to the Power SysAdminto request the approval for the deploy
2. The Power SysAdmin approveThe Power SysAdmin connects to the WEB Portal and:1. Verify all config properties (optional)2. Approve the deploy
3. The user receive an email...After few minutes the user receives an email whit:1. IP address for the new LPAR2. Password (optional)The LPAR is ready.
The new way... under the hoodIBM SmartCloud Entry for Power relies on:● IBM Systems Director● IBM VMcontrol for Systems Director ● IBM Storage Control for Systems DirectorIBM SmartCloud Entry exploits the IBM Systems Director capabilities:1. Make the profile into HMC2. Create the LUN and map it to the VIOs3. If the storage subsystem provides the flashcopy function (like IBM StorwizeV7000) will be used SCS (Storage Copy Services) instead of NIM to perform theinstallation4. The OS is customized with IP and password
The new way in brief1. The user asks a new LPAR in the WEB gui2. The admin approves the users request3. The LPAR is created in few minutes4. An email will be sent to the user An easy way with less time consumption
Legal stuffIBM SmartCloud Entry for Powerby Mario SebastianiMay 2012Feel free to contact me atmario (at) mariosebastiani (dot) info