Annabel Hodges (@searchPanda)
Search marketing & Analytics panda
(like a monkey only cooler)
Advocate of integrated traﬃc generation strategies
Lover of multilingual projects
SEO Director at Manning Gottlieb‐OMD
Follow me: @searchPanda
THE CLIENTS THE AGENCY
Search is not necessarily a
You will butt heads with almost
all other teams within the
agency – design, tech etc.
You are often brought into a
wider project at a late stage
What should you be asking at the start of a project?
Don’t ask how best to implement
your SEO strategy.
Ask if a SEO strategy is the best
strategy to implement.
When a traditional SEO strategy was not the right route
SEO campaign for existing Channel 4 Education sites – targeting
• Want to improve rankings for teacher resource related keywords
• Successful and search engine visible in teenage market
• Don’t want to scare those teenagers away but do want to make it clear these
sites are also a teaching resource
How to optimise each individual website without scaring oﬀ
The Project Research
Keyword Research – what do we target?
Current state of SERPS
Identify content distribution and/or link
Identify sites that could rank for resource
related keywords above our own
What do teachers look for?
‐ Subject‐speciﬁc teacher resources
Do they look for resources or resources sites?
‐ They tend to look for resources, only TES is a recognised go‐
Are they ﬁnding our sites?
‐ Yes and No
‐ Sites often present but teachers don’t understand they are
also teacher resource tools
The Proposed Solution
Part Content Distribution
Part SEO (and second‐hand SEO)
Improved production process for future
• Engaged 50+ sites and identiﬁed 22 ‘key’ players
• Distributed content from an initial 9 projects across these sites
• Increased visibility on search engines via Teacher Resources sites :
• Top 5 results for 8 of those projects on resource speciﬁc keywords
• Signiﬁcantly increased referral traﬃc from education resource sites
to individual project sites.
• Increase in brand name searches/direct traﬃc
Build a micro‐site for New Look to encourage interactivity with audience
SEO Campaign for keyterms where the brand is not currently visible
• Not visible for keyterms relating to celebrity, shop openings, collection launches, trends
• There was a gap in the market online within the 15‐25 age group, the most internet savvy
How to build & optimise a micro site ‐ targeting a younger
The Project Research
Weighing up the Options
Site Build + SEO considerations
How do we optimise this site? What are we trying to rank for?
Researching current oﬀerings: How does New Look currently
use SEO and social media?
What kind of content should we be looking to create to focus on
What can we create with the budget we have?
SEO meets Social Media
• 100% Hosted on Youtube
• Presented by YOU
• Competition to ﬁnd presenters – UGC uploaded content
• Celeb & fashion/collections specials
• Search rankings focusing on video‐friendly key terms – increase chance of
That old ‘creating conversations’ adage is true
Not only does the
on the content.
The presenter has a
chance to respond in
Joining up the
Link to main site
Call to Upload
Joining up the
Youtube material to
encourage people to
go to the site.
across all platforms –
Top 10 all‐time most subscribed sponsor
Top 50 all‐time most viewed sponsor channel
500,000+ YouTube video views
130,000+ Facebook community
Best Retail Campaign – 2010 Revolution
Appearing in universal search results for all
key terms related to celebrity and collection
reviews – where the main site does not.
• Ideal world = Budget + SEO + Build + IA +UX + Social etc
• Reality = get the best traﬃc to the best place in the best way possible
• SEO is more than keywords and links – think integration
• Pure SEO projects are not always the solution
• Focus on your project goals not on your SEO goals