Kids nowadays are less involved in physical activities. They go out less and prefer to stay indoors to watch tv or play video games. They lack interest in getting out there and winning sports medals and trophies.
This can be bothersome as the lack of physical activity has a lot of negative effects on the child. It will affect his health and physical condition. Moreover, it will also hamper social interaction and would result to undeveloped social skills.
Because of this the government and other institutions for children are now exerting much effort to promote sportsamong kids. Various programs such as sports competitions and sports clinics are being implemented. It is alsoencouraged that schools give trophies and medals to their athletes.
Nonetheless, promoting sports is not just the job ofschools and the government. Parents and communitiesalso play a key role in molding the love of sports among children.
It is a must that the benefits of sports should be stressedto their young minds so they will appreciate it not just forthe awards that they can get. Here are some of the things that children can gain from sports:
* Good health- As a form of exercise, sports helps kidsmaintain good health. Its not just their health which is improved but also their physical and mental skills.
* Increased self-esteem- Researches found out thatengaging in sports can increase ones self confidence. This is especially true for girls. One contributing factor wouldbe because of their fitness that gives them a positive body image.
* Leadership skills- Children who engage in team sports are honed to become leaders in their own right. Theylearn how to relate to others and how to devise winning strategies.
* Gaining friends- Both team and individual sports help kids learn the value of camaraderie, friendship and sportsmanship. Healthy competitions have a lot of positive impact on children.
* Having fun- On top of the medals and trophies won is the fun that kids have as they play. Sports elicit theexcretion of happy hormones which would elate the mood and overall happiness of the child.