What's the problem?
●Everyday people are going hungry, all around the world.
Although, no one seems to realize that right here in our
own country people are going hungry.
●“40 percent of food in the United States today goes
uneaten. This not only means that Americans are
throwing out the equivalent of $165 billion each year, but
also that the uneaten food ends up rotting in landfills as
the single largest component of U.S.” (Gunders).
Who is this effecting?
● This isn't just effecting the homeless anymore
● People with low paying jobs
● People who have been laid off
● This can happen to anyone
Why should we help?
● If we can make a difference in just our county, it will
slowly impact other places
● This can cause a chain reaction of help
● Small solutions can add up to one big impact for our
● “Envision you’re waiting in the heat of summer
outside a shelter or food bank for three hours, just for
any small piece of food. You’re finally at the end of
the line about to feel air-conditioning in what feels like
a lifetime. A worker comes out and tells you “Sorry,
we’re out of food.” (Dell-Colli 4)
How can we help?
● We need more advertisement! In Boise we have an
amazing program “Picnic in the Park” which provides
free meals for children ages 1-18.
● I was unaware of this program until I researched
● We need advertisements anywhere they can
go...billboards, bus stops, newspapers, magazines,
● We also need more funding for shelters
Aiken, Bob. Feeding America. 2013. Web. 3 July 2013.
Beck, Gary. “Not Your Everyday Homeless Proposal.” Outcry Magazine. 2006. Print.
Chilton, Mariana, J. Rabinowich. Ending childhood hunger in America. Human Rights,
Gunders, Dana. “Wasted: How America Is Losing Up to 40 Percent of Its Food from
Farm to Fork to Landfill.” 2012. Print.
Gurney, William III. ”Children and hunger: America’s hidden problem.” Parenting.
January 2001. Print.
Works Cited Continued
MacDonell, A. “If you are not hungry, then no one in American should be
hungry.” Take Part. 14 March 2013. Print.
“Picnic in the Park.” The Idaho Food Bank. N.d. Web. 3 July 2013.
“The state of hunger in America today.” PR Newswire. 2 February 2013. Print.