Successfully reported this slideshow.

Making the Most of Digital Content With the New CLA Schools Licence.


Published on

Who are and what does the Copyright Licensing Agency do?

Sarah Brear from the CLA gives a presentation outlining this and how the new Schools licence will affect schools when handling copyrighted material.

Published in: Education, Business, Technology
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

Making the Most of Digital Content With the New CLA Schools Licence.

  1. 1. MAKING THE MOST OF DIGITAL CONTENT WITH THE NEW CLA SCHOOLS LICENCE<br />Sarah Brear<br />Senior Business Development Manager – Education<br />
  2. 2. Who we are and what we do<br />Licensing body defined by CDPA<br />Books, journals, magazines<br />Set up in 1983 by our owners – ALCS and PLS<br />Agency agreement with DACS<br />Provider of licensing solutions<br />Non-profit making company<br />
  3. 3. Current rights<br />Schools can:<br />photocopy from printed books, journals and magazines;<br />scan and re-type from printed books, journals and magazines to create digital copies.<br />
  4. 4. About the new Schools Licence<br />In addition to existing rights, the new licence will enable schools to...<br />make copies from ‘opted-in’ digital material, both paid for and free-to-view – e.g. e-books, e-journals, interactive learning and teaching resources and websites;<br />following...<br />market research and consultation with sector;<br />changing learning practices and business models;<br />international perspective.<br />
  5. 5. More about digital material<br />
  6. 6. Reporting copies<br />Why?<br />Current methods<br />Web logging<br />Only if selected for survey<br />
  7. 7. Example<br /><br />
  8. 8. What happens next?<br />Licensing procedure<br />Schools Focus Group<br />Support from CLA’s Education Team<br />
  9. 9. Any questions?<br />
  10. 10. Thank you for listening!<br />