Twitter Chat presentation made on February 16, 2012 #Eavenar Webinar. The event was hosted by Michael Todd 9@mqtodd). The presentation focused on the benefits of twitter chats the the various roles used (Guest, Participant, Host)
2. Twitter Chat Basics
• What is a Twitter Chat
• Why Participate
• How do I find one
• How does it work
• Participant, Moderator, & Guest Tips
• Tools and Resources
Presented by @SteveCassady 2
3. What Is A Twitter Chat?
• Tweet chats are simply a way to get people
together at a determined time to talk about a
pre-determined subject via Twitter.
• They are organized around a Hash tag #
• There are also a few 24 x 7 chat streams like
#USGUYS and #SMGirlfriends
• Tweet Chats do become trending topics on
4. Why Participate in a Twitter Chat?
• Building community,
• Making new friends,
• Learning from others
• Discussing interesting topics
• Personal Branding
• Get more engaged followers and visits to your
5. How Do I Find a Twitter Chat?
• Watch your Stream
• Google Spreadsheet Document on Internet.
• There are several other sites under
development to provide Host and Participant
Tools for chats
6. How Does a Twitter Chat Work
• Pre-Determined Time and Length
• Moderator Sets Agenda and Guides Discussion
• Community Leaders
– Topical, Technology, Platform, Segment, etc.
• Format: May be fixed or varies
– Q&A, Free Flow, Guest Q&A
• Guests: Industry Leaders, Community Members,
Emerging Companies, etc.
• Conversation: Lots of tweets
7. Participant Tips
• Don’t be afraid to luck, but join as soon as comfortable
• Ask questions if confused, community well help
• Connect with moderator before or after chat
• Respect the community.
– Don’t spam your links.
– Stay on topic
– Follow Structure
• Follow-up with others after the chat
• Learn some of the tools
• Use the Hash tag
8. Moderator Tips
• Select Theme/Topic of chat
• Select Time and be aware of conflicts.
• Coordinate with similar community of chats; i.e.
• What is your format? Some stick to same format while
others vary and test. Formal Q1/A1
• Communicate Structure
• Promote Chat and use other platforms besides twitter
• Have an Agenda
• Have a Plan that spans multiple weeks
9. More Moderator Tips
• Know your community
• Enlist Helpers
• Be Flexible
• Have a Plan for Side Trackers
• Have a back-up moderator
• Welcome Newbies
• Build Community Outside of the chat
• Invite Guests
• Measure and Track
10. Being a Great Guest Tips
• Lurk First in prior chat
• Set Goals with Moderator, understand
community, and confirm format
• Prepare and Coordinate question and answer list
in advance. Use it to Shine
• Plan Answers so they are easily retweetable
• Provide your Links to the moderator in advance
• Leverage Pre and Post community and encourage
other platform connections
11. What Tools Are Available?
• Twitter.com hash tag Search
• Use a Twitter applications like Tweetdeck, HootSuite,
MarketMeSuite, SocialBro, etc. and Set up Hash tag column
• Many tools have nice chat features:
– Reply, Reply All, ReTweet, Favorite, Autohashtag, Block
• Hashtracking.com for after chat analytics and transcript
• Twylah.com for Branding and adding life to your Tweets
13. Other Resources to Note
• Hashtracking.com for after chat analytics and
• Twylah.com for Branding your Tweets
• @MQtodd and @PamMktgNut have blog
posts on Twitter Chats
• @PamMktgNut has a demo video on how to
do a chat session using Tweetchat