Virtual Reality is the future and web is not far behind. Only problem is web standard is getting left back. So how to write code that will work with Oculus Rift, Moggles, Sony Morpheus, HTC Vive, Samsung Gear VR, Microsoft HoloLens, Fove VR, Carl Zeiss VR One, Avegant Glyph, Razer OSVR, Archos VR Headset, and the most famous of all - Google Cardboard. Well we&apos;ll pollyfill ofcourse.
Polyfill Web VR
1. The Advent of Virtual Reality to the Web
2. The Fight
3. Bridging the Gap
The Advent of Virtual Reality to the
The next super cool thing ?
The Early adopters
• Firfox Nightly
• Chrome - ofcourse
Whats the idea ?
• Rendering Canvas (WebGL or 2D) to VR output devices
• Rendering 3D Video to VR output devices (as directly as possible)
• Rendering HTML (DOM+CSS) content to VR output devices – taking advantage
of existing CSS features such as 3D transforms
• Mixing WebGL-rendered 3D Content with DOM rendered 3D-transformed
content in a single 3D space
• Receiving input from orientation and position sensors, with a focus on reducing
latency from input/render to final presentation
My VR code is better than yours
• Mozilla believes/d VR should be rendered from good GPUs only. Hence their
obvious choice was to support the likes of Oculus rift and PC which has great
• Google Cardboard changed the game, now ur mobile is your VR
• Then the VR bubble burst
• Lead to : (not necessarily in order)
• Sony Morpheus,
• HTC Vive,
• Samsung Gear VR,
• Microsoft HoloLens,
• Fove VR,
• Carl Zeiss VR One,
• Avegant Glyph,
• Razer OSVR,
• Archos VR Headset
Is there a standard format
• So far so good, VR bubble - > Great
• But the problem is -> My code is better than yours
• Different usecase
• A developer may usually ask –
• How can I code once and run everywhere. Is that the reason why web
and JS are so famous ?
Enter Boris Smus
• Created Responsive WebVR, headset
• The base idea is like our responsive
web design, write once and run on any
• Web VR boilerplate was born
• If you are not carrying your VR headset you’ll still be able to experience the website
is 2D. This is not just a fallback. It’ll be a ful scale Three.js enable website. With a
disclaimer saying that Better experienced with VR.
• Once you have a VR, experience the 3D.
1. Web VR is Awesome. You should love it if you haven’t already
2. Will it be the future, too early to say!
3. Use the boilerplate, it makes life easy
4. Start contributing to the boilerplate.
5. Remember your open source is not any better or any worse than my
open source. #stopthewar