The Real Secret to
- Roger L. Martin
• In today’s knowledge economy, employees with unique
skills have a profound impact on organization.
• It is crucial to keep them happy.
• Many mangers believes that compensation is key. But,
truly talented people are not highly motivated by
• Feeling special is more important to talents than
• You must treat stars like valued individuals,
not like members of a group, even an elite
• Giving talents exceptional treatment presents a
• The major 3 ways to show appreciation to the
1. Never dismiss their ideas
2. Never block their Development
3. Never pass up the chance to praise them
1. Never dismiss their ideas:
Talented people invest huge stores of energy and
emotion in developing their skills so they succeed
at their highest level.
They want input into how to apply those skills and
further strengthen them.
Example: Eric Yuan of Webex videoconferencing
2. Never block their development:
Enabling stars to keep growing will win their loyalty.
If a star feels that his/her way forward has been barred
and he/she is being made to wait for opportunity or
development, he/she will take their skills to an
organization where there is a clear path for them.
2. Never pass up the chance to praise them:
Extraordinary people spend all their time doing hard things.
If they don’t get recognition, they will drift away or become
Spotting when talents needs acknowledgement and
appreciation and delivering it is one of main challenges for